Is it a trimac?

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
I wont 100% ID like the "expert on the matter" above, but if you are questioning the heavy flowerline (which is the only thing remotely suspect) I would add that breeding and growing out tons of "true" Trimacs you could find a few with extra flowers. See if you can track down the source and see pictures of the parents.
I think the expert above was joking around...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fishman09

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2011
Centralia, WA
I wont 100% ID like the "expert on the matter" above, but if you are questioning the heavy flowerline (which is the only thing remotely suspect) I would add that breeding and growing out tons of "true" Trimacs you could find a few with extra flowers. See if you can track down the source and see pictures of the parents.
was defintely just giving Jeff a hard time and pretty certain that he would only deal with fish that would be proven trimaculatus which im sure these fish are.

rodald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala City
The tri in trimac stands for three tear drops right? Right?
Yes, the Tri stands for the three spots, one above the gills, one in the middle and one on the tail, but its known that most trimacs have more than three spots that end up fading with age.

IMO your female might have some FH comparing to mine, which are wild caught, because of the iridescence around the spots but it could also be from the captive breeding, but theres really no way to know if true or not.

Still a really beautiful fish.

CrimsonFog

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Warshingtun
Jeff,

Looks like a very nice female trimac. I'm not an expert, but from the pictures you posted and based on what i know and have read - it's trimaculatum.

And like James said, there ARE few trimacs with extra flowering.

Nice pick up bro! (I just got 3 females yesterday)

FHlov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Hawaii
pretty sure the wild trimacs, distinctly had three spots, some barely even have dots, while others may contain additional fragmented dots. They are typically very green to yellowish with a red throat and pectoral area. This fish looks mixed. I've never seen a trimac have any colored pearling whatsoever. Maybe through breeding, but not in the wild.

As far as flowerhorns making it difficult to distinguish between true trimacs vs hybrids, it's not the fact that people did it. It's more of the fact that they did it for $$$ and are irresponsible by not relaying the correct information. Fish are hybridized by man and in the wild, it's called evolution. I have no problem with hybrids, it does suck that there's all this misinformation out there as a result though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store