Is it hybrid? Yellow markings on adult scianochromis fryeri

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
When a LFS is dumping a mixed group of fish into a general tank you have no way to verify that they haven’t been cross breeding. This practice invariably leads to threads asking if the fish is a hybrid. RD is simply saying that based upon the traits of your fish and without knowing its history it is probably a hybrid. Which I think pretty much answered your question.
I will say i have only kept one fryeri and it looked as expected.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
I’d like to put some more light on situation in my tank which may help explain subdominant dress on my 5.5 -6in fryeri.
I have this 2 guys:
A6B0F591-D2DD-4E44-AF98-E30AF7181A8F.jpeg3C5309D2-CF1D-468A-A799-E113F6356FB4.jpeg
They holding spot nr2 and nr3 and they are most aggressive fishes in my tank. Borley is a tank boss but he is not messing with them and they not messing with him (well pink OB actually some time age beat Borley and become a monster, I had to net him out and bring back the rule to borley).

In my opinion cichlids have varied personalities and some which supposed to be mean are not. In my tank eureka and sciano (on internet described as “mean” cichlids) are mellow, both were dominated in my grow out by strawberry albino peacock.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I've had a few Fryeri in the past. Even when they weren't dominant, they still never lost their blue. They lost their shine, more of a dark dull blue instead of the bright metallic blue they have when dominant. I could just be bad genetics.

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
Curious. If cross breeding isn’t an issue then why is your opening question inquiring if it is a hybrid?

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Curious. If cross breeding isn’t an issue then why is your opening question inquiring if it is a hybrid?
Another thing - I honestly never see this type of “mixed tank” where males and females of different species are kept together enough long so cross breeding occurring and then customers picks whatever comes out of that mix.
So I ask for hybrid because some time ago I tried to get confirmed ID of my strange looking ruby red on this forum. Of course answer was “cross breedin-hybrid”. I just recently discovered that it is very popular in UK hybrid called “red sided blue peacock”

3C08E39E-9233-4440-88E9-298E5C633539.gif

That's the pic from site who sells them (it’s dark, I cant shot a pic of mine). So this is hybrid for me, not some kind of “internal store offspring”.
I hope you know what I mean.

Last edited:

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
So what you are attempting to discern if there is a difference between intentional line breeding vs accidental copulation? Half the fish you have shown are hybrids.....intentional or not they are not pure fish. In the case of the first fish I am not positive but I do not believe it is a pure fryeri. And if that is true then your LFS very well may be purchasing fish that are already mixed at the breeder. But you are contradicting yourself by saying your LFS only stocks pure fish (in a mixed tank) then asking if it is a hybrid. I don’t believe anyone was saying that the juvies were breeding at the LFS level.
so let me put it this way. Are you asking if the original fish is an intentional line bred hybrid that was supposed to look a certain way? If yes don’t you think the LFS should disclose that and not sell it as a Fryeri?

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Wow. I am happy buying online from a reputable dealer, never from a mixed tank. I have never owned fryeri...my preference is the timid haps and I knew enough to avoid fryeri with timid haps in the tank.

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
So what you are attempting to discern if there is a difference between intentional line breeding vs accidental copulation? Half the fish you have shown are hybrids.....intentional or not they are not pure fish. In the case of the first fish I am not positive but I do not believe it is a pure fryeri. And if that is true then your LFS very well may be purchasing fish that are already mixed at the breeder. But you are contradicting yourself by saying your LFS only stocks pure fish (in a mixed tank) then asking if it is a hybrid. I don’t believe anyone was saying that the juvies were breeding at the LFS level.
so let me put it this way. Are you asking if the original fish is an intentional line bred hybrid that was supposed to look a certain way? If yes don’t you think the LFS should disclose that and not sell it as a Fryeri?
I didn’t said pure - I said legit.
I have nothing against hybrids like OB or this ruby hybrid, for me they are part of the hobby, Im not a purist, just an amateur.
I ask if my fryeri is hybrid or not, because I was concerned about it lack of colour and yellow markings, but after receiving regular bashing about “mixed tanks” I decided to explain how “mixed tank” looks at my LFS
Tell me - if owner of my petshop decided to split those 15 cichlids in separate tanks for those 2 weeks until they all will be sold will this shop be considered as good cichlid source?

Just to add, I’am not native english speaker, so If I’am offending you or anyone, or I’am unclear - sorry ok

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store