Is it possible to have a drip system if my house sits on a slab?

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
I've been thinking about doing a drip system but my tank is located in the middle of the house and it's sitting on a slab. My problem would be how to get the run off water out of the house. Anybody here have this same situation and running a drip system? I thought about running a pipe down through the wall behind the tank and plumbing it to the outside some how but then I would need to be able to pump the water up and out. Would this even be possible?

Thanks for any input

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I've been thinking about doing a drip system but my tank is located in the middle of the house and it's sitting on a slab. My problem would be how to get the run off water out of the house. Anybody here have this same situation and running a drip system? I thought about running a pipe down through the wall behind the tank and plumbing it to the outside some how but then I would need to be able to pump the water up and out. Would this even be possible?

Thanks for any input
I do it every day via a sump pump. Overflow water goes to a storage container, sump pump from Home Depot on a float switch. Empties container. Container fills again, rinse, lather, repeat. Easy peezy

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
I do it every day via a sump pump. Overflow water goes to a storage container, sump pump from Home Depot on a float switch. Empties container. Container fills again, rinse, lather, repeat. Easy peezy
Where is the sump pump pumping the water to?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ive been thinking about this too. Subd

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
Through a hole in the wall (insulated with great stuff foam) to the downspout of my gutters. Never see a drop of water from the system and I change a lot of water
Now that's slick. Mine would be a little different because the back of my tank is against a inside wall with no close outside wall near by. Do you think it would be possible to pump it up into the attic and then over to a outside wall and back down? I would have to run a pipe down through the wall in order to do it though.

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Now that's slick. Mine would be a little different because the back of my tank is against a inside wall with no close outside wall near by. Do you think it would be possible to pump it up into the attic and then over to a outside wall and back down? I would have to run a pipe down through the wall in order to do it though.
Most certainly. Just check the pump for head height. Sump pumps are not like aquarium pumps. They are designed for basements so most will pump vertically to surprising limits. Before the "what if it fails" police arrive, buy two. Set the float one inch higher than the first and it won't come on unless the other fails. Home Depot pumps are $50-$100 and last a long time.

I don't know why more people don't do this. It took me forever to try it and then I was upset with myself for having waited so long.

180gallons

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
Georgia
Most certainly. Just check the pump for head height. Sump pumps are not like aquarium pumps. They are designed for basements so most will pump vertically to surprising limits. Before the "what if it fails" police arrive, buy two. Set the float one inch higher than the first and it won't come on unless the other fails. Home Depot pumps are $50-$100 and last a long time.

I don't know why more people don't do this. It took me forever to try it and then I was upset with myself for having waited so long.
Yeah, that's the point I'm at now. Just a bunch of nervous ideas and what ifs.

Reactions: jaws7777 and DN328

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Yeah, that's the point I'm at now. Just a bunch of nervous ideas and what ifs.
Well some experienced advice for you. It feels overwhelming but it's really simple once you get the concept. A lot like a sump. It seemed like advanced physics or something but after I set one up, I never looked back and can make a sump with my eyes closed now. Once you get passed this phase, it gets easy and you will regret having waited! Stick with it man, it's worth the time spent learning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store