is it safe to feed nightcrawlers?

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
I recently started feed my big fish "Canadian nightcrawlers" from Walmart. It just occurred to me that they are supposed to be used as bait, not fish food.

Any thoughts/experience?

pdbrady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2006
Springfield, MO
I pull earthworms, as well as grubs, right out of the yard and feed them to my tank. I don't use any pesticides or fertilizers, so I don't worry about it. It just depends on how they raise them, if that's something you could find out. Honestly, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Think about it, you feed them to the fish YOU eat.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
pdbrady;3430900; said:
I pull earthworms, as well as grubs, right out of the yard and feed them to my tank. I don't use any pesticides or fertilizers, so I don't worry about it. It just depends on how they raise them, if that's something you could find out. Honestly, I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Think about it, you feed them to the fish YOU eat.
Wish I could get "organic worms" too :( I guess the commercial ones are probably farm raised....pesticides and fertilizers are almost inevitable...

nice snook btw :)

pdbrady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2006
Springfield, MO
peathenster;3430979; said:
Wish I could get "organic worms" too :( I guess the commercial ones are probably farm raised....pesticides and fertilizers are almost inevitable...

nice snook btw :)
Thanks :). That's a good possibility. However, I've fed redworms, blackworms, and some others that I bought for ornamental fish, and they were positively farm raised. They even had the same plastic cup packaging as nightcrawlers for fishing.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
i prefer farm raised due to the farm-raised type are cleaner than the earthworm in my back yard. farm-raised do not mess up your tank as much as those out in the wild of nature.

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
Just be careful they are not injected with any type of dye.. I've heard some for BAIT can come that way.

I was buying night crawlers from a local bait-shop, was using them for a while for my large jag, but decided to stop.

I guess the main reason I did was because I was afraid he might catch a parasite or something.

He's on Massivore, freeze-dried-krill and thawed silversides, doesnt seem to be missing the worms.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
I have a large compost pile that I turn daily. I pull worms from it and toss them in to my goldfish, cichlids and the pacu.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
you can also buy earthworms that are sold at pet shops, even places like petco carry them

hairdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
norfolk, ne
Yeah should be O.K. my carpintes goes nuts for night crawlers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store