Is KML the same as SRD? AND breeding questions!

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Well, the first question is in the title but are they the same? I notice that most KML have a lot more pearling, which makes me ask if that’s the only difference, and what is the difference between KML and Cencu too?

breeding question: I was told that only f1 Kamfa females with a KML male will produce quality fry. Is it not possible to breed a f2 Kamfa with a f1 Kamfa and produce quality fry? Does anyone know good breeding combos for different types of flowerhorn?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Well, the first question is in the title but are they the same? I notice that most KML have a lot more pearling, which makes me ask if that’s the only difference, and what is the difference between KML and Cencu too?

breeding question: I was told that only f1 Kamfa females with a KML male will produce quality fry. Is it not possible to breed a f2 Kamfa with a f1 Kamfa and produce quality fry? Does anyone know good breeding combos for different types of flowerhorn?
I don't really call myself an expert mind you but if I remember correctly a KML is what ya get from breeding a Kamfa with a ZZ Red Dragon. A SRD is just a regular ZZ Red Dragon with an exceptional amount of red coloration, more then half of the body length. So SRD is just a higher grade of red dragon, most of the time. I have seen some RD's out shine a SRD just because their colors were brighter and more defined. Oh also if I'm remembering correctly Magma FH's are made the same way KML FH's are it's just they were line bred for different traits. KML's for the more greenish hued pearling and RD body style, Magma's for the RD coloration and the more pronounced kamfa body style and pearling amount/coverage.

Not too familiar with Cencu FH's so I wouldn't be able to really give any feed back on that question.

As for the breeding question. I would imagine it has to do with personal opinion and what is popular in what area. Around in my area it's red dragons and kamfas. You will rarely ever find anything else for FH's besides those 2 lines around here. I had a KML once and regret trading it in still to this day lol. It was just at the time I didn't need another male FH taking up a full tank to itself.

Personally I would recommend doing some research into your local area, where you would want to sell in, to check and see what is popular and what is not and make a decision from there on whether ya want to go with a more uncommon/harder to sell variety or if ya would rather go with the more popular/easier to sell variety in your area. I personally prefer red dragon mixes for their coloration, but I also like kamfas for their more pronounced pearling/body style along with the smaller kok size. But that's just my personal opinion.

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane wow, thank you for the in-depth reply and although you may not be an expert, your information on explaining some differences really helped! I am getting in two f2 kamfas next week. One resembles a vieja hybrid more or less and the other has very defined Kamfa traits. I am thinking about doing some breeding for myself. I want to enhance certain features in one of the fish and hopefully create the fish I’ve always wanted(I will post a picture of both my fish, and what I want to achieve over time). It’s not so much a money making ordeal, I would most likely sell off any quality fry I don’t want to keep to my LFS though and I am sure they would be happy to take them.

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane wow, thank you for the in-depth reply and although you may not be an expert, your information on explaining some differences really helped! I am getting in two f2 kamfas next week. One resembles a vieja hybrid more or less and the other has very defined Kamfa traits. I am thinking about doing some breeding for myself. I want to enhance certain features in one of the fish and hopefully create the fish I’ve always wanted(I will post a picture of both my fish, and what I want to achieve over time). It’s not so much a money making ordeal, I would most likely sell off any quality fry I don’t want to keep to my LFS though and I am sure they would be happy to take them.
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane here are my two new fish coming in
View attachment 1447167
View attachment 1447168
And here is the fish I’d like to create one day
View attachment 1447169
Beauties! I may be wrong but i've heard most kamfas are sterile,hence why some breeders breed a kamfa female to a zz male to create f2s.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

tpaquarist17

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2019
USA
Krismo962 Krismo962 most of the time that is true, but there is always a chance that they can be fertile! Worse comes to worse I found a breeder that has some amazing f1 females and I am sure I can find a couple of nice males from someone. I think that the fish I am getting with more of the true Kamfa form could turn out to be close enough to my dream fish to not even have to breed though

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Krismo962 Krismo962 most of the time that is true, but there is always a chance that they can be fertile! Worse comes to worse I found a breeder that has some amazing f1 females and I am sure I can find a couple of nice males from someone. I think that the fish I am getting with more of the true Kamfa form could turn out to be close enough to my dream fish to not even have to breed though
Nevertheless great looking fish, i wish i had kamfas like these at my lfs.Good luck with the project!

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
There is another way to get your dream fish. This is an FH or kamfa cross with a fader. RT is used as the fader. What will be the name of the hybrid (F1) from such a cross? Kamfa fader? Here are photos of a pair of RT male ($ 400) and kamfa female. And photos of hybrids. Three different males (about $ 150) and a female ($ 80).

32.png

33.png

31.png

34.png

35.png

IMG_7654.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store