Is my flowerhorn healthy?

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
I always thought flowerhorns were veracious eaters yet my flowerhorn is the exact opposite. Eats a couple hikari brand cichlid pellets here and there. Even the frozen blood worms don’t go down as fast as they used to. When I walk up to his tank he becomes very engaged, like he’s begging to be fed, that is until I drop the pellets in, he literally will go to the bottom of the tank, as if to get as far away as possible. The only conclusion I can come to is he’s gorging himself on Malaysian trumpet snails at night when I’m sleeping. What do you guys think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane
Beautiful flowerhorn!
I don’t see anything outwardly wrong...
Try not feeding him for a few days and see if he has a stronger response.

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
Magnus_Bane Magnus_Bane
Beautiful flowerhorn!
I don’t see anything outwardly wrong...
Try not feeding him for a few days and see if he has a stronger response.
Appreciate the help, I’ll give that a try. Everyone’s flowerhorn on YouTube eats like they haven’t eaten ever and I got the guy who could care less about food.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Might have a digestive problem, flowerhorns have pretty screwed up digestive tracts. I’m pretty sure peas help to flush everything out. That may help.

Reactions: Daniel36

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Might have a digestive problem, flowerhorns have pretty screwed up digestive tracts. I’m pretty sure peas help to flush everything out. That may help.
Just make certain to de-shell the peas first. FH's can't digest the shell on the outside of the pea and get blocked up pretty easily. Personally I would just fast the FH for a few days or so and try feeding again then.

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
Just make certain to de-shell the peas first. FH's can't digest the shell on the outside of the pea and get blocked up pretty easily. Personally I would just fast the FH for a few days or so and try feeding again then.
Thanks for all the input guys, this such a great community I always know I can get some great advice here! I’ll try the fasting again and if that doesn’t work I’ll try the peas. Fingers crossed ?

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Flowerhorn aren't actually natural fish. They are a crossbreed of what people dont know what exactly yet. Similar to how a mule is. A cross between a horse and donkey. In this case a lot of issues can come up for them, As it is not necessarily perfected. It is almost a form of cloning. They were made by selective breeding, which is when 2 organisms are bred by a human or a way that they typically would not. Scientists are working on it are of now and trying to create new organisms by combining dna. That is selective breeding. Taking 2 dna and combining them to make an organism. There also needs to be a surrogate mother. For example: When a mom cannot have a baby she will find someone who can have the baby for her. But flowerhorns are an odd species as they ARE able to reproduce. But they were created by people using selective breeding so the unaturality of them is what can make them vulnerable to diseases.

Daniel36

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2018
Hawaii
Flowerhorn aren't actually natural fish. They are a crossbreed of what people dont know what exactly yet. Similar to how a mule is. A cross between a horse and donkey. In this case a lot of issues can come up for them, As it is not necessarily perfected. It is almost a form of cloning. They were made by selective breeding, which is when 2 organisms are bred by a human or a way that they typically would not. Scientists are working on it are of now and trying to create new organisms by combining dna. That is selective breeding. Taking 2 dna and combining them to make an organism. There also needs to be a surrogate mother. For example: When a mom cannot have a baby she will find someone who can have the baby for her. But flowerhorns are an odd species as they ARE able to reproduce. But they were created by people using selective breeding so the unaturality of them is what can make them vulnerable to diseases.
Agree completely, and I now know they are somewhat complicated in terms of digestive issues are concerned. Honestly I probably should of done more research but he’s brought me so much joy for the past 3 years I can’t imagine not having him. This was him when I fist got him.

15048784-388A-450B-ACC1-FF9051A350E8.jpeg

9F57B43B-7101-4DD5-8322-6C2077E6F899.jpeg

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Agree completely, and I now know they are somewhat complicated in terms of digestive issues are concerned. Honestly I probably should of done more research but he’s brought me so much joy for the past 3 years I can’t imagine not having him. This was him when I fist got him.

View attachment 1465368

View attachment 1465369
Thank you. But trust me. Its ok. I've kept them before but never really gave in to them as much as I wanted to, But still absolutely love the species. He is a beautiful fish.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Typically hybrids of closely related species are fertile, so flowerhorns being fertile isn't odd.

Species where DNA has vast difference like different number of chromosomes leads to infertile fish.

The problem with flowerhorns is mostly because of inbreeding and less from hybridization. Few years ago, flowerhorns used to lives more than decade and typical lifespan of pure species. Right now they are designer fish, much like most costly dog breeds.

Diseases vulnerability is complicated. Most of the issue comes from overpriced speciality foods which are really low quality rebagged foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store