Is this a red Texas Cichlid?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
That fish bears more than a passing resemblance to my RT. It's already pretty and will be prettier still with some TLC. I don't have enough experience to guess what it will mature to; I just think it's gorgeous.

FWIW I have found my RT Caligula to be so aggressive even at a young age that he beat several festae and jewel cichlids into submission and / or killed them. He tore apart a female carpintis and bit pictus cats in half... butt end first so he wouldn't get stung. He's in a tank by himself now on account of his tendency to murderize every living creature he comes across.
I'll get some better pictures once it's settled in but thanks for sharing how aggressive it is.

Do you think a fish like this would care for a large clown knifefish as a tankmate or just leave it alone? I'm guessing it would probably pick on the CK.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
I'll get some better pictures once it's settled in but thanks for sharing how aggressive it is.

Do you think a fish like this would care for a large clown knifefish as a tankmate or just leave it alone? I'm guessing it would probably pick on the CK.
A clown knife fish would likely be toast in short order.

It would be safest to keep this guy as a single specimen.

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
A clown knife fish would likely be toast in short order.

It would be safest to keep this guy as a single specimen.
Sorry meant to update you on the RT moving to another QT tank. I ended up selling most of the African Cichlids. The RT is the boss but it doesn't mess with the turtle(6") or the 14" CK fish. Everyone else is getting chased.

I'm at least hoping the RT, CK and turtle will get along for a decent amount of time. The other fish will be shuffled once QT time is over.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
It is a red texas, but its a Cyano mix not a Carpintis mix. Thats why it has the dots instead of worm lines or "pearls". Has the potential to be a great looking fish.
Interesting never heard of a cyano mix. How large do you think they can get? I was considering getting a hardy schooling fish with it. Do you think tiger barbs could survive?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store