Is this gill curl?Please tell me..

Tharindu C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
My LFS guy said that this guy seem to have gill curl and need to do a surgery..he is using arowana stabilizer for sedating the fish..Is it ok to use arowana stabilizer for sedating this catfish...

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Arrawana stabiliser is possibly the product created by ocean free, a large breeder and shipper of arrawana. It is just a fish tranquilliser, however it says on the product NOT to use on scaleless fish such as catfish. Possibly because of the burn effect but probably due to the skin taking the medication easier than through scales so not just through respiration so much harder to know how much to give.
IMO it is a risk. And so is surgery for minor gill curl.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Can you please help me out..
Is this a sb rtc? Head seems enlarged compared to the body. Just wondering from the pic and if so could be from a genetic issue. Cause is supposed to be from poor water quality and smaller tank size. These need to be corrected but not sure if this will prevent any further worsening. If the fish is acting normal then I’d leave it alone. Try and correct any possible causes. If the fish trying to rub the gills on the tank/decor then I’d consider surgery but only by a vet if you’ve never done it yourself. Better to be done by a vet. See what you can do and see how it goes. Best of luck.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd say find a better LFS guy, probably. More knowledgeable and honest. It sounds like the unnecessary surgery sales to me.

From these pics it is not easy to tell if it is indeed gill curl but even if it was, it is best to be left alone. This is no show red Asian arowana for 20,000 dollars. This is a $2 RTC.

Weak to mild gill curl doesn't affect much the life and health of fish. However, as Kno4te says, it doesn't occur for no reason. Number 1 reason is poor water, low on dissolved oxygen and laced with ammonia and nitrite. Number 2 is genetics.

Tharindu C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Is this a sb rtc? Head seems enlarged compared to the body. Just wondering from the pic and if so could be from a genetic issue. Cause is supposed to be from poor water quality and smaller tank size. These need to be corrected but not sure if this will prevent any further worsening. If the fish is acting normal then I’d leave it alone. Try and correct any possible causes. If the fish trying to rub the gills on the tank/decor then I’d consider surgery but only by a vet if you’ve never done it yourself. Better to be done by a vet. See what you can do and see how it goes. Best of luck.
Hi,
He lives in my 600g tank and I have both of them..other guy is doing fine and he is quite good..I assume if this happens due to the poor water quality , the other guy too should have affect .But he is good..So this may be a genetic issue..However I think it will be good to let him stay without surgery ..

Tharindu C

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I'd say find a better LFS guy, probably. More knowledgeable and honest. It sounds like the unnecessary surgery sales to me.

From these pics it is not easy to tell if it is indeed gill curl but even if it was, it is best to be left alone. This is no show red Asian arowana for 20,000 dollars. This is a $2 RTC.

Weak to mild gill curl doesn't affect much the life and health of fish. However, as Kno4te says, it doesn't occur for no reason. Number 1 reason is poor water, low on dissolved oxygen and laced with ammonia and nitrite. Number 2 is genetics.
Hi...Even he worth 2$ or 1 penny I love him..Whatever the value or cost,these guys are also innocent lives.So to me,it may be an arowana ,rtc or a guppy alll are same..we must pay attention to them if we keeping them..thank you..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store