Is this swim bladder disease?

Eatsomekiwis

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
Recently picked this guy up and just noticed he swims kind of funny... What do you guys think? Anything special I can do to fix this?

image.jpeg

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
yes looks like it.. I suggest you use epsom salt and lower the water level 2-3 inches above the arowana.

Eatsomekiwis

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
Swimming more normal now, he did thrash around some before going in the tank maybe that affected it

image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It keeps them from rolling over and upright if it's swim bladder issue. Otherwise would leave the fish upside down. Less water pressure on them and keeps them less stressed.

Reactions: MariaS

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
It keeps them from rolling over and upright if it's swim bladder issue. Otherwise would leave the fish upside down. Less water pressure on them and keeps them less stressed.
Thats interesting to know thanks. To succesfully keep arowana, do you need to keep your water level lower long term or is it only if there is a problem? I am asking as i would like an aro one day but i run a tank with overflows and weirs so it is not possible to lower the water level in my tank.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Thats interesting to know thanks. To succesfully keep arowana, do you need to keep your water level lower long term or is it only if there is a problem? I am asking as i would like an aro one day but i run a tank with overflows and weirs so it is not possible to lower the water level in my tank.
It is not a must to lower the water level. However with smaller arowana the water level should be low. When they get bigger gradually increase the water level

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
It is not a must to lower the water level. However with smaller arowana the water level should be low. When they get bigger gradually increase the water level
Thats not good to hear. How small is small exactly? For people with sumps and overflows it means we can only buy larger aros?? I would not be able to lower the water level in my tank even if i wanted to.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Thats not good to hear. How small is small exactly? For people with sumps and overflows it means we can only buy larger aros?? I would not be able to lower the water level in my tank even if i wanted to.
Dont worry you dont have to lower the water level. The main reason for reducing the water level is it help to reduce stress to the fish if the fish is having SBP...

if the fish is having problem balancing itself..
it reduces pressure to the fish and also help to minimise the stress to the fish. Moreover lower water levels are used to minimise dosage if you are treating your arowana. Ive kept my rtg before in high water levels and he never had a problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store