iso retic care & tips

AmazonCreature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
Chicago
hello all!
So 2 weeks ago i received a text from my LFS saying they have tea cup sting rays in, so i went ahead and got one. Im new to rays but have been doing research for a while before even purchasing this fish.
I acclimated her and left alone with minimal light for a few days, offering frozen blood worms. I wasnt sure or not if she ate them because i did not see. So around the 3rd night i threw 10 ghost shrimp in there, needless to say 2 days later they were still all alive lol.
So i went ahead with my next step which was live black worms and she went for them !
Also after i did further inspection on her once i started putting the light on more i noticed a WATER LICE.
The few days after i treated with salt baths and physically removed them with tweezers.
She isnt much of a mover, kinda sits in one spot and eventually will move little by little. Water parameters are on point, as of now she is in a 75gal with pool filter sand.
Now my few questions are:

1) what is the ideal temp?
2) are live black worms benefial to her growth or should i be trying somthing different ?
3) Should i treat my tank with prazi? per water lice and being she is wc?
4) how many times a day should i be feeding?
5) and those 10 damn ghost shrimp lol, will they be of any harm if i just leave them in there?

ray1.jpg ray2.jpg ray3.jpg

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
That retic actually has a really nice pattern.
1. Much debate over water temps. I like 78 F
2. At least she is eating black worms. She does look a little thin, so keep the black worms going. Maybe try chopped earthworms-really small pieces. It is sometimes hard to get a ray off of black worms though. You can also try shrimp, squid, fish, etc., again very small pieces.
3. Prazi might be useful in this case. Ideally it would be good if you could exam her poop under a microscope for parasites.
4. 2-3 at this size and condition
5. shrimp should be fine, she may even eat them

AmazonCreature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
Chicago
That retic actually has a really nice pattern.
1. Much debate over water temps. I like 78 F
2. At least she is eating black worms. She does look a little thin, so keep the black worms going. Maybe try chopped earthworms-really small pieces. It is sometimes hard to get a ray off of black worms though. You can also try shrimp, squid, fish, etc., again very small pieces.
3. Prazi might be useful in this case. Ideally it would be good if you could exam her poop under a microscope for parasites.
4. 2-3 at this size and condition
5. shrimp should be fine, she may even eat them
Thank you for the advice. Ever since I introduced the black worms he has been an eating machine. Also, would you say male or female for this ray?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Can't tell by your pictures. Males will have claspers at the base of their pelvic fins. Small on the size ray.

Reactions: AmazonCreature

AmazonCreature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
Chicago
So an update on this guy. I did confirm he is a male. He is devouring live black worms twice a day. He is now active and swims freely. Thanks for all the help. I also have a new tank mate for him. Well for a few months until he goes into a brackish tank. Thanks everyone !

B8CE9D83-5BB6-47C8-9991-308EF22C86A1.png 91E2FCC8-2086-4AFA-8B13-F36C1A971DC1.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store