It’s finally happening, but it’s actually happening

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Good luck on your build. Best to build it with the plan to keep kois as you suggested in your first posted. Learn first, then go from there. Be careful what you read on-line. Many bad information and people with no experience on the subject believe it to be true. You should be the expert of your own pond.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Good luck on your build. Best to build it with the plan to keep kois as you suggested in your first posted. Learn first, then go from there. Be careful what you read on-line. Many bad information and people with no experience on the subject believe it to be true. You should be the expert of your own pond.
Thanks!

It seems we are moving the project to a different area - a corner. Moving for aesthetic pleasure and a water fall/stream. I think we are just going to build the shape as we go, but I think it should be around 2,000 gallons.

Ken, Do you have any examples of fish that could fit in a 2k gallon pond that aren’t koi or goldfish?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Congrats on this exciting step, you will love it. Warning: you are undoubtedly already aware that a new "big" tank quickly begins to seem...less big. The same holds true for ponds.

When you are deciding what to keep, bear in mind that your pond will be much more satisfying if you can see the fish. Sounds silly, of course, but a pond...especially a planted one...makes them very difficult to see, other than an occasional brief glimpse of a flash of movement. I personally don't have much use for koi, but they have been bred to be observed and appreciated from above. You can't expect to keep more than two or three in that little pond, but that's plenty to make a nice display.

Suckers, catfish, weather leaches, darters...IMHO a complete waste of time. You'll never see them. If you want some little fish, Rosy Reds or Gold Medakas are easy to see and maintain. They're always on display and breed prolifically, especially the Rosies.

This is your first real pond; you don't need "something uncommon in the hobby". Anything will be new to you. Get something you will like without worrying about how many other people may are may not have it.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks!

It seems we are moving the project to a different area - a corner. Moving for aesthetic pleasure and a water fall/stream. I think we are just going to build the shape as we go, but I think it should be around 2,000 gallons.

Ken, Do you have any examples of fish that could fit in a 2k gallon pond that aren’t koi or goldfish?
Yes, lots you can keep in SD.....oh wait.....better just keep minnows.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Yes, lots you can keep in SD.....oh wait.....better just keep minnows.
Not sure what that is supposed to mean…but I like your new profile pic!

How many koi could I have? I think we would use a filter of around 4-5k gallons per hour. Does the length of the pump have anything to do with the amount of water that gets pulled into the filter? What about the width of PVC?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Shame not to have an rtc as they look amazing in ponds, and urs is 2k gallons

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
A concern about catfish is the spines in the fins. They could puncture the pond liner, and I don’t want to take that risk. As for sunfish, are they aggressive?
well they are not bullies but they are aggressive enough to become really personal fish that will swim up to you and eat out of your hands. And they are very beautiful if kept in right conditions. i used to have one in an aquarium and i personally really love them. They remind me of oscars (actually all aggressive cichlids do XD).
(Maybe a turtle would be cool? but then you will need special light and a basking spot. )
Some other cool freshwater fish would be pikes but those are killers. Giant european catfish is also really cool (kinda freshwater rtc mixed with arowana) but those get massive... i heard that padle fish also do great in coldwaters, but those should be quite hard to keep and maybe not the best fish to start a project with. Here where i live there is also a massive coldwater pond with pangasius, im not sure if the coldtemperature is great for them but they seem to be doing fine for years already in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
I think puncturing of the pond liner could result from perhaps a spook or the catfish getting stuck. It would be nice to have a Bullhead, but one of the would I see him often? I know from experience how sharp bullhead spines are, and they might be able to puncture liner.

Could a shoal of sunfish be possible? I feel like I’m shutting down ideas too much, but would sunfish be able to hang with koi? Are they too aggressive? Perhaps I get a bluegill or a shell cracker, or A few smaller species.

Checked the restricted species list Oddball Oddball posted and Ide, Bighead Carp, Silver Carp, and Grass Carp are illegal to keep.

Last edited:

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sunfish are a lot like cichlids, i.e. aggression varies from species to species and from individual to individual...but they're all fairly aggressive. Bluegill are among the most peaceful as well as one of the largest and least colorful.

And sunfish have some magnificent colors and look fantastic in an aquarium. But seen from above? Practically invisible. Like almost all fish, especially those from shallow waters, they have evolved to be inconspicuous to aerial and terrestrial predators.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Sunfish are a lot like cichlids, i.e. aggression varies from species to species and from individual to individual...but they're all fairly aggressive. Bluegill are among the most peaceful as well as one of the largest and least colorful.

And sunfish have some magnificent colors and look fantastic in an aquarium. But seen from above? Practically invisible. Like almost all fish, especially those from shallow waters, they have evolved to be inconspicuous to aerial and terrestrial predators.
Very true. But can’t we see them from the side? Are the smaller ones less agressive? It seems the smaller the fish the more colorful. Just from pictures, Longear Sunfish seem the most colorful and a fair size (upwards of 8”).
Other than that, Orange-spotted, Shellcrackers, and blue spotted sunfish seem colorful.

Do you know anything about the agression of the species mentioned above?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store