It’s finally happening, but it’s actually happening

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Three feet deep?

It's been five months, for crying out loud...you could have dug the Marianas Trench, the Great Lakes and the Dead Sea in that time... :ROFL:
I personally dug out a 6x3x1 garden bed last summer, 90 degree heat getting annihilated by mosquitos, in about a little under or over an hour. My soil is just rocks and clay. Given this information, we can estimate that I could have flown there, dug the thing out, and left, in the span of a weekend.

Now going off of that time estimation and jjohn's example, in the span of 5 months, 150 days, working 8 hours a day, while I wouldn't be able to dig out the Marianas trench or any of the other crazy things, I'd be able to singlehandedly dig out 21,600 square feet, or a little under half of a football field. Just saying...

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I personally dug out a 6x3x1 garden bed last summer, 90 degree heat getting annihilated by mosquitos, in about a little under or over an hour. My soil is just rocks and clay. Given this information, we can estimate that I could have flown there, dug the thing out, and left, in the span of a weekend.

Now going off of that time estimation and jjohn's example, in the span of 5 months, 150 days, working 8 hours a day, while I wouldn't be able to dig out the Marianas trench or any of the other crazy things, I'd be able to singlehandedly dig out 21,600 square feet, or a little under half of a football field. Just saying...
Two things added to the difficulty, for both me and, assumedly, the Shadow. First, digging three feet deep is quite a bit more work than digging one foot deep, even if you dig three times the area. Still doesn't explain the five months...

Now, the other part of the project that stretched it out for me was rolling the wheelbarrow back and forth between the pond site and the location of the dirt pile where the removed fill was placed, a distance of roughly 60 yards in my case. I think that probably took up at least 1/3 of the time I spent.

So, my rough calculations seem to indicate that the Shadow must have been wheeling his removed fill, by hand, to somewhere in Death Valley in order to slow his productivity down to the achieved level. Simple, really...don't know how I missed it before...

And, of course, there's those "rest" days...

Hybridfish7 Hybridfish7 , I just noticed your signature line. I think that he was likely putting a lot of effort into that aspect of the project as well. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Friller2009

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Also dont forget this is his project so he can dig at whatever frequency or pace he wants. Just sayin ?
(unpopular opinion)

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The title of this thread suggested a certain...urgency and excitement. The glacial pace at which it is progressing just seems like a bit of a letdown.

Might have been better to wait a few years until it was done...that's what it will take at this rate...and then announce "It finally happened, but it actually happened!"

Just sayin'...:popcorn:

Reactions: Hybridfish7

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I threw my back out yesterday. I’m at really hard clay and sand combo.
You'll recover. My backyard is about 10cm of dirt, then straight clay and rocks. Just got to persist, I feel your pain.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store