It's egg season.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I wonder if you should alert wildlife authorities. If they're rare in your area, they may want to protect the site. If not...bait!

Reactions: Justepic

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I wonder if you should alert wildlife authorities. If they're rare in your area, they may want to protect the site. If not...bait!
They are a common native turtle around here. Painted turtles are everywhere there is a still body of water lol. If ya go fishing out here you'll find dozens of em just sitting on logs or rocks, just never seen one nesting before let alone in such a high traffic area. She laid her eggs about 6ft away from a bridge going over part of the pond, if ya look at the right side of the pic you'll see part of the retainer wall for the bridge. I just hope nobody accidentally steps on the nest, id hate to see em die before they even have a chance to live. If I had an incubator I'd have dug em out and took em home but sadly I'll just have to let nature take its course.

Reactions: Justepic

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So I was curious so I googled it. It says most of the time they hatch in the fall. 72 days to hatch. I may have seen a rare occurrence? But I think it happened that way multiple years. Maybe I have the time of year mixed up in my mind...... Some overwinter in the nest but that long seems really off also.?‍♂
Hopefully I'll be able to catch em in the act of hatching. I think it would make for a nice video atleast. Wonder how old she is tho, she was roughly 1ft long and 8-9in wide. Seen em get allot bigger but she was a decent size for this area atleast.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I saw the wall which made me think it was in a park. In Jersey they wouldn't care about a painted turtle. If it was a sea turtle, they'd have the national guard surround it with barbed wire and declare it state turtle day.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I saw the wall which made me think it was in a park. In Jersey they wouldn't care about a painted turtle. If it was a sea turtle, they'd have the national guard surround it with barbed wire and declare it state turtle day.
Yeah out here you could say they are a dime a dozen but even with how common they are they still are a pretty turtle. Love the bright red color they get on their belly along with the lil map like pattern in the middle of all that color. Here's a pic of one from Google to show what I mean about their beautiful under bellies. Sucks when ya catch one while fishing tho, they are a real pain to try to unhook without getting bit.

20191022083813.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Turtles are just awesome little creatures and just about everyone loves them since they’re slow, cute, and haven’t hurt anyone except for maybe snapping and alligator snapping turtles.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Turtles are just awesome little creatures and just about everyone loves them since they’re slow, cute, and haven’t hurt anyone except for maybe snapping and alligator snapping turtles.
Lol slow? Hahaha you've never had turtle races as a kid have ya? These painted turtle act like they are on crack when they run away from ya. Pretty funny whatching 2 turtles race on a 12ft dock to get to the water before the humans catch em again, usually took em only a few seconds to get from one end of the dock to the other and into the water. Once they have the chance for freedom they are just greased lightning.

If ya want a good idea of how fast turtles and tortoise can be whatch this vid here. Absolutely blew my mind the first time I seen it.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing :D
Np always love talking/sharing about animals, except squirrels, seagulls and sealions. Seagulls and sealions are nothing but noisy thieves while squirrels just like to throw things at me lol.

But yeah atleast now that I got a rough estimate of when the eggs will hatch I'll have to be on the look out for it so I can hopefully get a cool vid to throw on here. Sucks I don't have a pond at home otherwise I'd take one as a pet lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store