It's egg season.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Np always love talking/sharing about animals, except squirrels, seagulls and sealions. Seagulls and sealions are nothing but noisy thieves while squirrels just like to throw things at me lol.

But yeah atleast now that I got a rough estimate of when the eggs will hatch I'll have to be on the look out for it so I can hopefully get a cool vid to throw on here. Sucks I don't have a pond at home otherwise I'd take one as a pet lol.
You have sea lions up in SD? Kill em all, damn thieves! Canadians eat them, so should we!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
You have sea lions up in SD? Kill em all, damn thieves! Canadians eat them, so should we!!!
Lol no we dont. Ended up experiencing em out in California. Loud and noisy fish thieves that sound like they're vommiting all the time lol. They kept stealing my fish right off the stringer.

Reactions: suckerfish

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
When I was stationed in Long Beach someone was cutting the sacks off pelicans bills. I was pissed off! Then I tried to go fishing...

• Wow
Reactions: deeda

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
When I was stationed in Long Beach someone was cutting the sacks off pelicans bills. I was pissed off! Then I tried to go fishing...
Yeah them sealions have no remorse about stealing your food, same with the gulls. But yeah least to say I'd be pissed to see someone do that to pelicans too. I like pelicans, atleast they don't steal from ya.

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Lol no we dont. Ended up experiencing em out in California. Loud and noisy fish thieves that sound like they're vommiting all the time lol. They kept stealing my fish right off the stringer.
Lol. It’s so pathetic how protected they are, makes salmon fishing very frustrating! Look at the east coast too- there’s so many, the men in grey are now hitting humans too! K, probably pissed off some seal lovers already!!!!
But seriously, I’ve seen some great recipes for a seal steak, like a ribeye!!!

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Damn, I totally derailed your thread! That’s awesome to see the turt laying eggs. I’ve only seen that on Discovery channel with the camera basically up in there! Hopefully you can get them hatching on film too. I’d say put a sign up, but round here, they’d be gone by sundown.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Damn, I totally derailed your thread! That’s awesome to see the turt laying eggs. I’ve only seen that on Discovery channel with the camera basically up in there! Hopefully you can get them hatching on film too. I’d say put a sign up, but round here, they’d be gone by sundown.
Yeah I've earned a couple of adult about them but they were more interested in bass fishing then anything else. But yeah I got to say it's pretty rare to see a turtle in the wild laying her eggs in broad day light like that let alone in such a heavily trafficked area. I figured she would've picked somewhere more discreet rather then right next to a bridge/foot path.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So small update, no hatching so far but I have some pics of another lil lady that was laying her eggs just the other night. This girl atleast picked a much better spot then the first one did with allot less foot traffic. So atleast if I don't catch the first clutch hatching I atleast got a second one to be looking out for. Who knows maybe I'll even get extra lucky and catch both clutches hatching on video. And without a further adeu here's some pics of the other girl, she's a few inches smaller then the first but atleast she picked a good secluded spot.

cameringo_20200612_201251.jpg

cameringo_20200612_201249.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I would've gotten closer to get a better pic but she was acting very flighty compaired to the first one. These pics were taken at 4x zoom as not to interrupt her. I almost scared her off from the spot when I first found her, she really flinched the moment I came into view around the small tree she was hiding behind.

So far I've been really lucky to find not 1 but 2 female turtles in the process of egg laying in the wild. Also found a handful of old nests that had already hatched, I'll take some pics of those the next time I got to that spot. It's so far been the best fishing spot I've found this year so as long as the fish keep biting I'll keep coming back. Hopefully with some better updates if things keep going this well, I'll keep ya'll posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store