It's raining vials!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
When you talk to your friends and family you can slip the odd little gem into your conversations and, at best, they'll point at you whilst sniggering and whispering to one another.
They do that now; no need to insert "Brit-isms" into my speech to elicit that response. :)

But...who cares what other people think? As long as my dog loves me...I figure I'm doing okay...:)

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Those vials are too small to grab with my fat sausage fingers. I have broken a dozen my own self.

I use regular test tubes from big cigars I used to smoke. I quit smoking the pipe as well, and my pipe rack holds the tubes.

I have a thin graduated dropper for filling. Marks on a fat tube are too coarse.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Great find. To bad they were all piss samples
Lol. Straight from the factory that made them i'm afraid, never seen piss, and by the time we've finished with them, they never will!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Well, those millions of useful vials aren't looking quite so useful now, lol. The next process will separate the blue cap (PP) from the clear body (GPPS). Not to worry, I made sure I squirrelled plenty away! :naughty:

IMG_20210812_115657_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Well, those millions of useful vials aren't looking quite so useful now, lol. The next process will separate the blue cap (PP) from the clear body (GPPS). Not to worry, I made sure I squirrelled plenty away! :naughty:

View attachment 1469545
Why wouldn’t they remove the caps before being broken up? Seems more difficult to separate it now

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Why wouldn’t they remove the caps before being broken up? Seems more difficult to separate it now
Each pallet has about 50 boxes on and each box contains around 300-400 vials. Currently we just quickly empty each full box onto a conveyor belt which goes up to the throat of a huge grinder. A full pallet can be ground up in minutes.

Imagine how hindered that speedy process will be if you have the same one guy feeding the belt, unscrewing every single cap! It's way more efficient to throw the lot down the grinder and then separate it when it's all been ground up.

It goes through a machine which works on the principle of density (specific gravity). All plastics have different densities. Water is 1.000. Anything with a density of less than 1.000 will float in water, anything above, will sink. PP is about 0.905 and GPPS is about 1.050. So, a basic water separation will float off the PP into one area, and sink the GPPS into another area.

The washing process becomes tricky when there's more than two plastics in the material and ALL the material is denser than 1.000!!! Then you have to manipulate the density of the water by adding magnesium sulphate crystals, and do multiple washes. You float off the least dense material each wash.

And tomorrow Nik, be early to class, as we will be discussing polymer chains, melt flow indexes, impact modifiers and viscosity, lol.

Are you still awake Nik, lol.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Just a quick update Niki_up Niki_up . We've started splitting the material today. This is what the split finished product looks like.....

IMG_20210813_110126_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210813_110112_HDR.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
This is interesting stuff.

Good thing those vials didn't show up at a facility in Canada. We would have hired people to de-cap them, after doing an extensive background check on each applicant to make sure he/she is "nice". The vials would then be washed using an environmentally-friendly product and process which would do absolutely nothing to get them clean. After they were processed, the Royal Commission that had been created to study the entire procedure would finally bring in its results...which would require the plastic to be re-processed in some way that actually works.

The system would be re-vamped, re-worked and re-started from scratch. Meanwhile, another group of people would be enlisted to send personal letters of apology to every man, woman and child on Earth, explaining that we are taking so much time because we care about the environment.

Meanwhile, back at the recycling facility, another Royal Commission would quietly release its findings...which would show that the plastic being used, if fed as an exclusive diet to rats for 12 generations, would cause cancer. Everything would grind to a halt; after months of careful deliberation, during which time the mountain of plastic would be stored in a secure government facility under extreme high security...it would be determined that there was no feasible way to recycle it. A convoy of Canadian Armed Forces trucks would deliver it to...a landfill, probably on the other side of the continent. The nearby community would accept a lump sum payment to handle the stuff; it would then sue the government for endangering the local residents.

Of course, CBC would have gotten wind of the whole fiasco by this time. There would be TV specials hosted by prominent environmentally-conscious spokespersons, explaining how every Canadian was now personally responsible for destroying the planetary biosphere. They would be MC'd by David Suzuki, who would bring his dog-and-pony show across Canada in a tour bus that emits as much carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and other nasty fumes as the entire air force and army vehicle pools combined.

Taxes would need to be raised to pay for this debacle. Legislation would be passed banning the use of plastic vials. Hands would be wrung; tears shed. Oh, my, we're Canadians...what will we do if people don't like us? :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
This is interesting stuff.

Good thing those vials didn't show up at a facility in Canada. We would have hired people to de-cap them, after doing an extensive background check on each applicant to make sure he/she is "nice". The vials would then be washed using an environmentally-friendly product and process which would do absolutely nothing to get them clean. After they were processed, the Royal Commission that had been created to study the entire procedure would finally bring in its results...which would require the plastic to be re-processed in some way that actually works.

The system would be re-vamped, re-worked and re-started from scratch. Meanwhile, another group of people would be enlisted to send personal letters of apology to every man, woman and child on Earth, explaining that we are taking so much time because we care about the environment.

Meanwhile, back at the recycling facility, another Royal Commission would quietly release its findings...which would show that the plastic being used, if fed as an exclusive diet to rats for 12 generations, would cause cancer. Everything would grind to a halt; after months of careful deliberation, during which time the mountain of plastic would be stored in a secure government facility under extreme high security...it would be determined that there was no feasible way to recycle it. A convoy of Canadian Armed Forces trucks would deliver it to...a landfill, probably on the other side of the continent. The nearby community would accept a lump sum payment to handle the stuff; it would then sue the government for endangering the local residents.

Of course, CBC would have gotten wind of the whole fiasco by this time. There would be TV specials hosted by prominent environmentally-conscious spokespersons, explaining how every Canadian was now personally responsible for destroying the planetary biosphere. They would be MC'd by David Suzuki, who would bring his dog-and-pony show across Canada in a tour bus that emits as much carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and other nasty fumes as the entire air force and army vehicle pools combined.

Taxes would need to be raised to pay for this debacle. Legislation would be passed banning the use of plastic vials. Hands would be wrung; tears shed. Oh, my, we're Canadians...what will we do if people don't like us? :)
I'm taking it you don't have much faith in Canadian recycling, or by the sounds of it, anything Canadian, lol.

• Haha
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store