Jack Dempsey questions

Oplr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
UK
My LFS has a pair of JDs for sale and I was wondering if a 64 gallon tank would be big enough for the pair to have.

These are the JDs on offer, couldn't get a better pic I didn't have much time.

Do they look OK to purchase if the tanks big enough?

20220804_113609.jpg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Probably doable. What are the tank dimensions?

Reactions: Oplr

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looks like a nice pair.
In a tank with darker substrate, they will probably color up nicely (ie darken considerably)
As full grown adults, the male could reach 10" +.
Even in nature, surroundings influence color.
Eden2

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
If you can upgrade to a bigger aquarium soon I say get the pair of JD's. Most of the time they will be sold to a person who only wants one.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Looks like a nice pair.
In a tank with darker substrate, they will probably color up nicely (ie darken considerably)
Eden2
I agree with duanes duanes here. JD’s have the propensity to wash out/lighten if the substrate is too light. Also, it is my experience that JD’s show much more color in a tank with low/moderate lighting. I’d go with black gravel and low/moderate light.

Reactions: Jmart159

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
IF the room that the tank is in is well lit with ambient, you wouldn't even need to turn on the light until the evening hours

Oplr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
UK
Looks like a nice pair.
Eden2
Nice one cheers for the info

If you can upgrade to a bigger aquarium soon I say get the pair of JD's. Most of the time they will be sold to a person who only wants one.
Cheers for the reply that's the biggest tank I can get at the minute and most likely biggest for the next 5 years as we are short on house space now the kids have arrived!
If the tank is too small its no problem as I havent commited to buying them

I agree with duanes duanes here. JD’s have the propensity to wash out/lighten if the substrate is too light. Also, it is my experience that JD’s show much more color in a tank with low/moderate lighting. I’d go with black gravel and low/moderate light.
Cheers thanks for the suggestions!

IF the room that the tank is in is well lit with ambient, you wouldn't even need to turn on the light until the evening hours
It's in a conservatory so I rarely use the light on the tank thanks for the reply!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store