Jack Dempsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I really hope this works out.
The best case scenario I see involves a pair of jags and a new tank for the jack.
Worst case scenario is one big male jag.

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
I really hope this works out.
The best case scenario I see involves a pair of jags and a new tank for the jack.
Worst case scenario is one big male jag.
So the thing is that out of the two jags one is an A-hole and the other one is a sissy I guess even the EBJD dominates the other Jag or The EBJD I have might be aggressive but that one Jag he’s a psycho I feel. I hope it works out too

LDPatton

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2019
So they are less than 3” and ones already labeled as an a-hole. Wait for a couple months when that fish is a little bigger. I can say with almost 100% certainty that the ebjd will be dead once the jag starts to put on a little size and becomes more territorial. The ebjd will be outgrown in the first month or two for sure and as the jag puts on size and more attitude it will be over for that ebjd. I know you said you wont let any fish die but you will have to spend every second of every day standing at that tank to insure that. We all know you wont be standing at that tank all day everyday so you may wake up one morning or come home from work and the ebjd will just be gone. I will wish you good luck anyway and hopefully the ebjd doesnt gall victim to the jags.

Reactions: YankeeJack

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
So they are less than 3” and ones already labeled as an a-hole. Wait for a couple months when that fish is a little bigger. I can say with almost 100% certainty that the ebjd will be dead once the jag starts to put on a little size and becomes more territorial. The ebjd will be outgrown in the first month or two for sure and as the jag puts on size and more attitude it will be over for that ebjd. I know you said you wont let any fish die but you will have to spend every second of every day standing at that tank to insure that. We all know you wont be standing at that tank all day everyday so you may wake up one morning or come home from work and the ebjd will just be gone. I will wish you good luck anyway and hopefully the ebjd doesnt gall victim to the jags.
I’ll try my best to save the EBJD, if I ever see the Jags troubling him I’ll immediately I’ll move the fish to a different tank

Reactions: Deadeye

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Great pics! Nice that you are planning to provide them adequate tank space! Looking forward to progress pics and your success. I'm with LDPatton --- in his prediction though --- odds for the EBJD in that set up are not good. And if those two jags are a pair ... gnite.

You picked some nice fish! Very hard to distinguish gender in an EBJD. I can't tell until they start to spawn. Earliest is when they are about 3 inches ... they turn very dark and you'll see the ovipositor.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
I think you should leave the EBJD in the 75 when you move the jags to the larger tank you are planning to get in December. As the jags grow and get more aggressive it will not be happy and it's health will suffer. In my experience EBJDs do not do well under stress. They do best when they are with calm tankmates. Mine is with a severum, ctenopoma, dennison barbs, cories and Raphael catfish and is doing great. I've had him/her over 2 years now and she's around 7". Maybe it will work for you for awhile but I think the EBJD would be a great fish for the 75 and let the jags have the 6ft tank.
Here's a pic of mine. Love this guy.?
20201008_190913.jpg

Reactions: Deadeye

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
I think you should leave the EBJD in the 75 when you move the jags to the larger tank you are planning to get in December. As the jags grow and get more aggressive it will not be happy and it's health will suffer. In my experience EBJDs do not do well under stress. They do best when they are with calm tankmates. Mine is with a severum, ctenopoma, dennison barbs, cories and Raphael catfish and is doing great. I've had him/her over 2 years now and she's around 7". Maybe it will work for you for awhile but I think the EBJD would be a great fish for the 75 and let the jags have the 6ft tank.
Here's a pic of mine. Love this guy.?
View attachment 1438032
That’s a beautiful fish. What you said makes complete sense. I might leave the Jack in the 75 but for now the jags and the Jack are doing good. There’s a little chasing at times but that’s also very rare. Hope it works out till December.

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Great pics! Nice that you are planning to provide them adequate tank space! Looking forward to progress pics and your success. I'm with LDPatton --- in his prediction though --- odds for the EBJD in that set up are not good. And if those two jags are a pair ... gnite.

You picked some nice fish! Very hard to distinguish gender in an EBJD. I can't tell until they start to spawn. Earliest is when they are about 3 inches ... they turn very dark and you'll see the ovipositor.
Thanks mate. I’ll try to keep everyone updated. For now, everyone’s doing great, no fights or anything. Everyone’s healthy. Thanks

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Also, any clue by what size do jags get the spots? The ones I have are silver and I’ve seen jags at the same size that already have those spots and coloration

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Update: no fights yet, everyone is still happy and healthy. Thinking of adding a GT in there too, thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store