Jaguar cichlid help!

250g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2013
india
Hi, I got these two about a week ago and it looks like they’re already spawning. I’m not sure if I have 2 females or a pair cause some of the eggs have turned white. Do the eggs turn white cause of water parameters, or are they just unfertilized?
91EF21ED-9971-4856-9DC0-6BCE0512F688.jpeg

8D73B3C9-2DCC-4BBF-B958-12C525A620AA.jpeg

D15C016D-3D6B-471F-8E4A-B4785C05F894.jpeg

A614BC8A-3C16-4903-AE54-54B70273F7CF.jpeg

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
it is very normal for some eggs to not get fertilized.
But as said, the majority, the tan/cream colored eggs look viable to me.
as an example, In the shot below you can see a female Chuco on 2 occasions guarding mostly cream colored eggs, but there are always a1600864456451.png few bright white ones.
1600864273225.png
th_IMG_0831_zps71a1d379.jpg

1600864603958.png

Attachments

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Looks like you're about to have a lot of fry on your hands!

Reactions: 250g

250g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2013
india
Thank you for all your help! I got a bunch of free swimmers today and I’m really not sure what to do next. Do I take them out or leave them in?

250g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2013
india
Looks like you're about to have a lot of fry on your hands!
Thank you for all your help! I got a bunch of free swimmers today and I’m really not sure what to do next. Do I take them out or leave them in?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Depends on what your goal is I suppose. If you want to grow the fry out, I would leave them until they are free swimming, probably about 1-2 weeks, and then transfer to a small tank with a sponge filter. If you don't want them, leave them in there and they will eventually be eaten by the parents. Even if you take them out, might be a good idea to leave some with the parents so they can continue raising them. They will eat them when they are ready to spawn again, and leaving some in will help keep them from turning on each other. Theoretically at least.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Well if you only want some of them, you could separate only a portion of the fry, just to be safe, once they have been free swimming and feeding on their own. However, dont assume that the parents will eat them for sure either. It happens sometimes obviously, but my big dovii have never eaten fry no matter how long I leave them in. The fry will continue living and growing until they are far bigger than I would like, and I've had them spawn and hatch new free swimmers more than once while the previous generation of fry is still in the tank. If you aren't looking to raise, or attempt to sell of a whole bunch of jags, I would just give the parents the benefit of the doubt and let them raise the fry and see how it goes. Even if it doesn't work out, they will almost certainly spawn again. Once parachromis get going you typically can't stop them. You can then save some of the next batch. In my personal experience, some of the cichlid fry I've had seem to have a much higher survival rate if I at least leave the mother in with them until they are strong. I can't speak to scientific fact, but I feel stress is reduced to the fry when they feel safer, and less stress equals better immune systems.

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi

250g

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2013
india
Well if you only want some of them, you could separate only a portion of the fry, just to be safe, once they have been free swimming and feeding on their own. However, dont assume that the parents will eat them for sure either. It happens sometimes obviously, but my big dovii have never eaten fry no matter how long I leave them in. The fry will continue living and growing until they are far bigger than I would like, and I've had them spawn and hatch new free swimmers more than once while the previous generation of fry is still in the tank. If you aren't looking to raise, or attempt to sell of a whole bunch of jags, I would just give the parents the benefit of the doubt and let them raise the fry and see how it goes. Even if it doesn't work out, they will almost certainly spawn again. Once parachromis get going you typically can't stop them. You can then save some of the next batch. In my personal experience, some of the cichlid fry I've had seem to have a much higher survival rate if I at least leave the mother in with them until they are strong. I can't speak to scientific fact, but I feel stress is reduced to the fry when they feel safer, and less stress equals better immune systems.
I think I’ll leave them in for a while. Are these ( pic below) free swimming yet? Seems like quite a task to catch some of them.

E8B88CAB-D9F1-445E-852D-2CB9BF690A28.jpeg

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store