Japes' 2010 Eartheater Work/Photolog

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
darth pike;3753994; said:
Ack, that should teach me to post before my 4th cup of coffee in the morning.

By non-challenging, I meant to the geo's. And yeah, your import laws make finding biotope tanks a larger challenge than it is for us. I bet Peter could find you the dwarves though, he seems to find them all down there.
I help him find them by driving him to the stores, he won't get a license! We've got a lovely importer here in Brisbane called Fishchick Aquatics imports the South American dwarves we have access to, as well as supplying locally bred quality Tetra and other community friendly species.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294192 is a thread I put up when myself, Peter, and a few other hobbyists invaded her store a few weeks back after a shipment from Peru came out of quarantine.

Never planned to mix any dwarves with the Eartheaters, I had F0 Laetacara dorsigera and some tank bred Apistogramma agassizii in with them while they were growing up and the Orange Heads eventually shut them out with their boisterous feeding behaviour so I felt it best to sell them off.

3x18x18's would be Trio/Colony setups for Dwarves only - may still happen.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
beautiful tanks and even better pics :thumbsup:

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
lach;3751912; said:
japes got any good spots to pick up some red heads?
Orange Heads? All of these people calling them Red Heads frustrate me, especially when people think they're a different type or quality to fish labelled Orange Heads.

There's a few reasonable suppliers here in Queensland, I wouldn't trust most of them though because as a bit of a flagship species there's plenty of people breeding average quality fish to make a quick buck, so there's no culling or quality control. Try a local forum.

lach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Australia
japes;3754798; said:
Orange Heads? All of these people calling them Red Heads frustrate me, especially when people think they're a different type or quality to fish labelled Orange Heads.

There's a few reasonable suppliers here in Queensland, I wouldn't trust most of them though because as a bit of a flagship species there's plenty of people breeding average quality fish to make a quick buck, so there's no culling or quality control. Try a local forum.
oops my bad.
just getting into the eartheater business
tank is nearly ready to go week 2 of cycling and driftwood is only thing left to go in

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
japes;3754798; said:
I feel your pain. I have always hated how most people try to sell the whole brood for extra money or even store credit when in reality only a small % will be worth while keeping. Just as nature weeds out the lesser siblings, we should be doing the same ourselves as the fry progress. Instead we end up with 100's of juvies spread around the local shops of which most of them are very average quality.

lach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Australia
pet city at wishart has some juvies or would smiths aquariums be a better source?
ive never been to fishchick aquatics however

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
lach;3754915; said:
pet city at wishart has some juvies or would smiths aquariums be a better source?
ive never been to fishchick aquatics however
Oh I never buy from any of the stores that are primarily supplied by Bayfish. Regarding Pet City, I can't say I'm keen on purchasing any fish from a store that can wipe out their entire Discus/L Number/Tetra wall overnight. They've also made it abundantly clear to me over the time I've been a customer that they have no quality requirements when it comes to the fish they are supplied and stock.

Fishchick doesn't carry any Eartheaters.

Try a local forum for local breeders, my Araguaia are reliably sourced F2's (tracked back to the F0 parents smuggled in). There's some F1/F2 Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head" getting around too, quite common.

lach

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
Australia
japes;3754957; said:
Oh I never buy from any of the stores that are primarily supplied by Bayfish. Regarding Pet City, I can't say I'm keen on purchasing any fish from a store that can wipe out their entire wall of Discus/L Number/Tetra wall overnight.
Fishchick doesn't carry any Eartheaters.
i was wondering what happened to them all :S

thanks for the info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store