Jardini and their Colors

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
ime, the color of my jar varied with the ambient light conditions he was in. When indoor without lighting almost no spots at all visible. Now in the sun i can see the red spots very clearly. attach is the recent photo. it can be seen from my previous posts of jar pix - he was fairly colorless

IMG-20110819-00123.jpg

IMG-20110819-00123.jpg

zerox4444

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
East coast aus
Hi im from sydney Australia.
I have a black saratoga, its about 25cm long its very dark black and just gets darker as it grows. scales also have red tips.
I got lucky with this one i think!
Can anybody give me estimate price on what its worth? Both here and overseas prices will help me.
Cheers

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

Saylor Palmer

Feeder Fish
Jun 14, 2015
I have multiple tanks and when I move my jar to a lighter tank, he turns into a ¨golden¨ jardini. When I put him in the tank with the black background he turns into a ¨black¨ jardini.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Raw prawns/shrimp is the key to getting jardini spangles to pop pink in my experiences

Adictd2Fsh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2018
So I've spent hours looking through pictures of Jardinis and have noticed a few things and so decided to start this thread here. this will also help all of those who are new to Jardinis get a better understanding.

first there's agreement that a Jardini is a Jardini no matter what color it is.

second. environment (background-lighting-etc) and food seems to influence the possible colors of Jardinis. (But genes are the ultimate factor). so yes, for all the explainations, we can assume that genes are a contributor so dont bash me for not mentioning it. :duh:

However, it is clear that there is indeed a beautiful variety of possible colors that Jardinis can take. Whether they are true morphs or caused by other factors... I cannot tell.

But I did find a "trend" in which people labeled their Jardinis. I will admidt that this is most likely a marketing technique, give the fish a special name and jack up the price.

I hope this gives everyone a rough idea about the different color possibilities in Jardinis. I am by no way claiming that these are true morphs, as they can for all I know be mutated cases. I have been a betta breeder for several years and do have a basic concept of genetic inheritance.

*as a note, none of these pix are mine. if they're yours and you want credit, or want me to take them off let me know.*

For starters, here is a "Standard Jardini"

When we think of Jardini, here is what most people will think and most of them that we see at the LFS will look like this.

Or this:

Copperish color scales. Sometimes a little dark. red spots on the tails.

"Pearl Jardini"

This is often a reference to the red/pink/white spots-specks that appear on Jardinis.

Here you can see the "pearls." This is COMMON in all Jardini. So dont pay extra just because it's "pearl" since technically, they are all pearl. --But I must note that the degree of "pearly-ness" can make a specimen look better.

Black Jardini

It is highly debated why the fish turns this color. But in order for this debate to occur, one statement must be true: Jardinis can be black.

It is believed that Jardini can be darker w/a dark background. And it is 'claimed' they can change their colors to match their surrounding. Other than that, there is no other explaination (besides genes) that explains why they are this way, as owners of Black Jars dont feed them anything special. (But if you know the secret, i'm sure we would all love you forever if you shared it).

These are uncommon-almost rare to find but you can get lucky.

Here is a darker Jardini. I wouldn't consider it black,
I have heard people call them:

"red spotted Jardini"

These are failry common. They just have more dominant red "pearls."
Feeding shrimp will increase the red intensity.

Gold Jardini

Sometimes, the Jar can take on a nice "golden" coloration.

These are fairly common, as most Jars will be a copper-gold color. the pic under the "pearl section" has a nice example of gold scales on a Jar.

Some people claim that the lighting and bright background that causes them to have this golden like color.

Platinum Jardini

One thing I have noticed about these "platinums" are that their tails often do not have the spots. These are pretty hard to find. You may also see them referred to as "high shine" Jardini.

Again, people say that this occurs due to environment: lighting bright background, etc.
I would argue that there is a good amount of genetics at play here.

Green Jardini

I've seen this name float around too. The Jar below may be what is referred to as a Green. But, this name may have also come from people who are confused by the Asian Green Arowana. But again for references, if someone says Green Jardini they're probably thinking of something like:

IMO, this may be more due to lighting and enviornment rather than a true different coloration. I mean, if you keep looking at it, it doesnt look all that different.
So if someone is trying to sell you a green jar, make sure its not the lighting. (and also make sure its not an Asian Arowoana - or not ;) )

Red Jardini

Again, I think this name came out of the confusion about Asian Red Arowanas, and also the misguiding name "Red Spotted" Jardini.

See that "red" in its face? all Jars have this characteristic to a certain degree. Its color can vary from red, pink, copper, or shiny. The red is the most noticeable of these possibilities and may cause people to want to refer to them as "red."

Again, feed them good amounts of shrimp and color enhancing food to increase the red intensity. But saldy, I doubt there is a RED Jardini. But if anyone finds one... all us MFK'ers would love to see it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to post up better pictures of examples and if you have also heard other terms and names or colorations, please do share them.
This is some very good info that I have been looking for. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store