Jardini vs Silver Arowana

aroijuana

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
New Jersey
Does jardini need more space per its length than a silver? Silvers grow to 3 ft and people recommend 6 ft tanks, so why wouldnt a jardini be ok in a 4 ft tank when it grows to 2 ft?
usually the people who say 6 foot is cool for a silver have never actually owned a big arowana. In person a 30" fish in a 180 looks jammed.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
If you want the fluidity of motion (me too), look into black arowana Osteoglossum ferreirai - same general body plan as the silver but a little more slender while "only" getting to 30" or so + reduced propensity for drop-eye. Also 4x the money, but your tank's already best part of a $Grand just in glass so quit nickle&dime'ing ;)

Mr.Fang

Feeder Fish
Sep 30, 2020
What I really want is a silver arowana. I love the way they swim. The jardini looks much stiffer when it moves, where the silver seems to flow. Due to space constraints, the best I can do is a tank that is 48" x 24" x 24", so if I get any arowana it would have to be a jardini. Would I be happy with it considering what i love about the silver is how it swims? What are peoples opinions who have had both on the difference in behavior?
It depends cause having a community with arowana is trial and error some silver are bully and some are not. If your thinking to keep both you might expect they will fight especially in that tank size. Its better to have 72x24x20 inch or 60x24x20 tank thats if you will be using a 1/4 thick glass cause its cheaper. Butnif your using 1/2 thick might go 72x30x30 cause silver arowana grows long

Reactions: tlindsey

yemista7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2020
Thank you all for your advice! I have decided to just wait another 10 years, until it makes sense to move to a different house and sell my current house. Life is always changing, so its hard to predict what you will need or want, but now I at least know I need a room that can support an 8ft tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store