Jardini with gill curl.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I spotted a nice sized and not too badly priced jardini yesterday and was thinking about picking it up but while I was admiring the fish I noticed that it had what looks to be gill curl..I am not familliar with the condition and this is the first time I think I have sen it in real life and I was wondring if it can be cured.....

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
there are many different treatments to help it, i have not dealt with it personally. i have heard off surgery, massages, strong flow and just good ole clean water. not sure of the best method, but there are some success stories and alot would depend on how bad it is. if it is just in the soft part of the gill plate, cutting it off could solve it.

fishwhisperer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2010
Johnson City TN
iv delt with it, the only cure is sugery, so long as its the soft part and so long as it isnt very savere, post pics, hopefully is only on one side so that recovery is more likely

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I won't be geting pictures anytime soon as the store is quite a drive from me and I only go there about once a month.....So it does not sound too good for the fish,I think both sides were curled.Is this condition life threatening,what causes it?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Life threat, no. Also no known cause, just guess'
if you don't know anything then stop posting comments!

I heard that ammonia poisoned can led to this. The fish can still live healthy if you provide a good environment for it.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I heard that ammonia poisoned can led to this. The fish can still live healthy if you provide a good environment for it.
Thanks Hung...I will think long and hard on whether or not I buy this fish while doing a little research of my own on this affliction.

cichlid0405

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
PA
I was thinking of buying that same exact fish as well, but because of the gill curl, I decided not to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store