Java Java Java

Randy West

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2017
Oklahoma
I am considering real plants in my 29g with EBA,pleco,cory,platys,guppies and a fiddler crab. I have been informed...multiple times....java moss and java fern. How easy are they? Any tips for setup and growth?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Java fern and moss are super easy to grow, you just need decently clean water and light. You don't need much light, a led strip or a fluorescent bulb aquarium top will work great. I like to secure them onto driftwood, after a while the fern will wrap it with it's roots and stick to it. I find the moss can be hard to work with because it's usually just a mob of loose strands and isn't easy to plant or secure.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Easy to grow indeed on both and rather slow growers so patience necessary. I happen to love java moss and have had much success with them. I've grown them with regular flourescent bulbs but as mentioned above, they will grow in long strands with this low lighting. I've grown them in a patio room with only natural light...works better than the flourescent bulb. High lighting seems to work best...moss comes out thick and lush. However, with high lighting and a new setup, hair algae grows with the moss and can appear unsightly. I find a few squirts of hydrogen peroxide on the affected area takes care of the problem.

Moss wall progression:
image.jpeg

My favorite application is a moss tree...note, minimal amount needed to start and wrapped with thread:
image.jpeg

Randy West

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2017
Oklahoma
Easy to grow indeed on both and rather slow growers so patience necessary. I happen to love java moss and have had much success with them. I've grown them with regular flourescent bulbs but as mentioned above, they will grow in long strands with this low lighting. I've grown them in a patio room with only natural light...works better than the flourescent bulb. High lighting seems to work best...moss comes out thick and lush. However, with high lighting and a new setup, hair algae grows with the moss and can appear unsightly. I find a few squirts of hydrogen peroxide on the affected area takes care of the problem.

Moss wall progression:
View attachment 1282512

My favorite application is a moss tree...note, minimal amount needed to start and wrapped with thread:
View attachment 1282513
Thank you. Thats amazing. The tree looks awesome.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
Java ferns are super easy. Mine tank started with 4 and now must have about 50 of them with little to no effort. Just make sure you have proper lights, put them in and watch them thrive.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store