just setup and stocked my 120 gallon tank! pics :)

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
ok so yesterday i got my 1st set of live stock for my new 120 that has been cycled for about 2 months now. its a 120 gallon tank with a 24 inch 2x25 wat t-5 light setup hanging from the cieling above the tankl...for filtration i have a 15 gallon wet/dry sump filter and substrate is very fine black sand...i went to lfs and got 2 juv. silver arowanas and what they called a teacup ray :(....im not 100% on what kind of ray it is but after doing some research i think it is a male reticulated ray. as for decorations i have absolutly nothing in the tank but the sand and a long airstone. while i was at the lfs i picked up 20 ghost shrimp and 20 small guppies hoping the ray would eat and i did witness the ray eating two ghost shrimp. its kinda cool how the spit the shell back out.. i do have an issiee tho one being i think i may have to much current in the tank because the smaller juv. aro stay right where there is not to much current and when he ventures over to the more turbulent areas he seems to get blown around. also i looked in my sump this morning and saw that there were a few dead guppies and shrimp. attached are some pictures taken with my cell phone so they arent to great but let me know what you think and what kind of ray u think it is. thanx :)

0513091317b.jpg

0513091317c.jpg

0513091317g.jpg

0513091317h.jpg

0513091318a.jpg

0513091318c.jpg

0513091318f.jpg

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
i also know feeders are bad to feed my ray but im not sure how else i can feed it i tried adding some bloodworms to the water but it did not seem to go after them. do the sift through the sand in serch of uneaten food?

wow

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
sweden
karllenz87;3109489; said:
also some other stocking suggestions would be great because the tank at the moment seems really empty
It may look empty now , they are going to grow up and get BIG!

Full tank shot? :grinno:

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
I would suggest using live blackworms. There are tons of threads on here on how to get your stingray adjusted to a new diet. :)

Keep us updated, and best of luck!

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
a full tank shoot would look pretty bad considering i only have my cell phone camera :(...but ill hgive it a try any suggestions on decorations?? and idea what kind of ray and its sex? i think i see claspers so im thinking its a male

feeling2good

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
USA
how big are the rays and is the silver 3-4 in. i would worry about the silver getting eaten if the rays are big enough.

karllenz87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
philly
the ray is mabye four five inches across i have yet to see the ray even really come up off the bottom either the silvers are bigger then its mouth tho

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
Yes its a retic ray you have, it should not harm your aro at all. The aro will out grow it in about 2 months or so. Then after that you maybe have to worry about your aro going after the ray.

I would just be glad right now that your ray is eating so soon. Its been known that retic are hard to get eating. And yes getting it to feed on live blackworms would be a better diet.

Water looks kind of cloudy? How are water parameters?

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
Your aro ray combo will work great. I have had that combo myself. I would not add too much decor b/c you want the ray to have plenty of room. Maybe some driftwood with no sharp edges and a good sized opening under it so the ray can swim through. I used reptile fake plants and hung them from the top of the tank b/c your ray will sift thru the sand and uproot anything u try to bury. Like everyone else said try blackworms. I always used ghoast shrimp as a treat. Good luck, you will love them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store