Just wanna discuss nitrates

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
Hi, i'm new here, was browsing through, and what really got my attention were the threads where opinions were expressed that "high" nitrates ( say 80+ from what i've gathered here) could kill or severely impact rays. Just wanna share my experience here about nitrates, i apologise for it being long winded but i doubt i can make my point sufficiently otherwise.

i'll admit i was one of those who followed literature and always erred on the side of caution, meaning i religiously tested water parameters and kept nitrates below 50 ppm for freshwater, below 10 for saltwater. when i first dabbled into ray keeping i was literally going crazy because i couldnt keep nitrates in check whilst feeding 4-5 times a day (pups), without a trickle/drip system. that meant 50-80% water changes once every 2 days, none of my tanks were overstocked, eg 3 x 5-6" rays in a 180-240g, ammonia/nitrites were zero throughout even after huge feedings because i way overfilter, but the nitrates just kept shooting up cause of the amount i fed and the amount of waste produced subsequently. And it definately didnt help my tap water had detectable nitrites, and 20-30ppm nitrates. if i got lazy n skipped a water change nitrates would go beyond 100. mind you none of the rays exhibited any signs of stress let alone get sick or die... they ate like pigs and grew faster than most ppl could believe. all the while in water that never had lower than 80ppm nitrates and could peak out at 150+.

One fine day i got close enough to some reputable ray breeders and when i asked their opinion of how high was high for nitrates, half of them didnt see the need to bother with nitrates, and the other half thought i was crazy for panicking and getting stressed out over having 100ish nitrates. Mind you, these are the ppl who have invested millions in their farms n rays, and have continuosly churned out some of the most stunning BDs and the super white trend.

Well to be honest i was still skeptical even though my rays had been and were still thriving under high nitrates, but i did tone down and started getting better sleep without as much of the fear that i would wake up n find dead rays due to high nitrates. Weeks passed, months passed, years passed, and i have come to accept that my rays (BD , Leos and BD variants) are thriving irregardless of the high nitrates. Eg they grew from 7-8" to 14-15" disc size in less than a year, never had bad appetite (i actually still feed 2-3 x a day even those that are bigger than 16"), never suffered from any sickness, recovered from bad bites from males within days without needing to do anything at all, etcetc.

Fast forward to today. no side effects AFAIK from high nitrates. Sickness? No. Deaths? No. Stunted? No. Shortening of life span? Honestly i wouldnt know firsthand cause the longest i've kept any ray before selling/trading to upgrade brood stock was around 6-7 years, but i can most definately say rays wont die overnight from <200 nitrates. UNLESS they were shocked by transferring them instantly from water that was <40, straight to water that had multiple times higher nitrates level. And even then i did buy rays that came in with <50 nitrates, dripped them for 30 mins with my 150 nitrates water, chucked them in and they started eating within 5 mins.

Anyways, just thought i would give a different viewpoint of how deadly ntirates above 50 are. i have yet to see a ray die from nitrates < 200. Makes me wonder if any of those peeps saying 80 nitrates were the reason of death overnight, actually had any first hand experience of such scenarios.

Last but not least i wanted to post some pics of my rays over the years but apparantly i cant post links unless i have 4 posts... so i'll update the pics when i'm able to lol.

P.s : I welcome any discussion, but please do make it constructive.

Raynado

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Under the rule of my Wife
I was never really bothered by nitrates and I know mine is pretty high due to bioload and multiple feedings. But just like every other hobbyist, I follow a strict water change schedule and my Rays, like yours, are striving. Ammonia is the only thing I check, but if somethig drastic happens then I'm testing everything.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
If I remember right Zoodiver Zoodiver said he has seen in public tanks nitrates near 800 ppm... not
Sure if I am quoting him
Correctly.
I pay no attention to nitrates

Reactions: Bigfishnut

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
I was never really bothered by nitrates and I know mine is pretty high due to bioload and multiple feedings. But just like every other hobbyist, I follow a strict water change schedule and my Rays, like yours, are striving. Ammonia is the only thing I check, but if somethig drastic happens then I'm testing everything.
Thanks for sharing. that's exactly what i wanted to make ppl aware of... on one hand u have ppl saying 80 nitrates kills, and in reality i myself, and tons of others, have 100+ nitrates and have had no issues for years. Now i ain't advocating that high nitrates is ideal, but i really want a clearer picture of why ppl think nitrates are so lethal.

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
If I remember right Zoodiver Zoodiver said he has seen in public tanks nitrates near 800 ppm... not
Sure if I am quoting him
Correctly.
I pay no attention to nitrates
And that really raises the bar of how high is high when it comes to acceptable nitrates. Thanks for that input!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I sleep better at night because I quit testing for nitrates...pointless. No matter what I do they are high. I just stick to my routine and ignore nitrates!

Jennilyn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2016
I think we are blessed keeping fish with such high personality. If they act at all a little different I usually do a water change. But I too do not test. I do 2-3 water changes per week and vacuum the sand too.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I like the opinion of a guy on another board I frequent in terms of "high" nitrates. His thoughts are fish living in water in excess of 20ppm is like smoking a pack a day of cigarettes. It won't do you in right away, but it will likely shorten your lifespan and make you susceptible to various illnesses.

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
I like the opinion of a guy on another board I frequent in terms of "high" nitrates. His thoughts are fish living in water in excess of 20ppm is like smoking a pack a day of cigarettes. It won't do you in right away, but it will likely shorten your lifespan and make you susceptible to various illnesses.
i was worried about that too at some point, but as i've said i've gone a good 6-7 years n they were still going strong. And i know others who have had no issues who are at 10 years+. On a scale of tens, hundreds of rays.

susceptible to various illnesses.. like what? mine have never fallen sick, and i dont even use UV. And breeding wounds where chunks have been bitten off havent got infected and healed up perfectly fine without me doing anything on my part cept the routine water changes. On the other hand u have ppl's rays dying overnight for no apparant reason while eating well the night before, and 80 nitrates gets the blame for being too high.... which brings up another questions... how high is high? how is 20 any different from 40 or 60 or 80 or 100? who decides what is too high, when i havent seen any real case studies on the long term effects of nitrates on rays?

i like your analogy, it's not the first time i've been fed with that either, but there isnt any concrete proof to back it up. i wouldnt downright dismiss that claim, but i do need more convincing because everything i've seen and experienced points in the other direction.

Maybe i'll regret it a decade later, but that's precisely why i'm trying to get ppl to prove me wrong, because i don't want to worry about something that may or may not happen in the relatively distant future.

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
o yea i hit 4 posts so i can share some pics lol.

100-180 nitrates in this 500g. overstocked i know, 2 females were getting battered by a overly eager inexperienced male so i threw them here to recuuperate. And what better way to prove high nitrates dont kill lol!

280g grow out tank... 80-200 nitrates

No discus were harmed by permanently 100+ nitrates either...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store