Just wanna discuss nitrates

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Forget the nitrates LOOK AT THAT STOCK!!! You clearly aren't a rookie.

I haven't check nitrates in years. Not because I don't care, because I'm too lazy to shake that damn bottle for 5 minutes to get an accurate reading!!! LMAO :D

I think there are other rare species that are sensitive to nitrates. When rays were still new and exotic, I think the assumption was that they had to be sensitive to nitrates because they are so sensitive to ammonia. Maybe it's possible that they are ultra sensitive to ammonia and extremely resilient to nitrates.

This has been discussed here for years with the smoking analogy, and I feel that is the most accurate lens to view it through.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I don't have rays, I had tanks for years without water changes, back when I was 10 years old In 1984.
My tanks also smelled, and the water was yellow.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
I know in oscar keeping world, 180ppm nitrates will lead to hole in the head and maybe a 4yr lifespan at best. Many other fish will develop dropsy and various fin rot issues with that level as well.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
The one thing I can think of, about high nitrates is the amount of silicate, phosphate, phosphorus, sulfate, and similar compounds that lead to, bacteria blooms, diatomaceous growths, and weird slime algae stuff.
Crazy little blooms of hydra, and water conditions that convince daphnia to go dormant.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
Forget the nitrates LOOK AT THAT STOCK!!! You clearly aren't a rookie.

I haven't check nitrates in years. Not because I don't care, because I'm too lazy to shake that damn bottle for 5 minutes to get an accurate reading!!! LMAO :D

I think there are other rare species that are sensitive to nitrates. When rays were still new and exotic, I think the assumption was that they had to be sensitive to nitrates because they are so sensitive to ammonia. Maybe it's possible that they are ultra sensitive to ammonia and extremely resilient to nitrates.

This has been discussed here for years with the smoking analogy, and I feel that is the most accurate lens to view it through.

i'm lazy too, i usually only test intensively after a major setup change or new fish are added.

rays aint the only ones that are fine with relatively high nitrates though, although rays are most oftenly used as a bechmark because of how senstive they are to bad water parameters. but in my book that applies to ammonia/nitrites, not nitrates. i, and others, have had tons of other fish species thrive in 3 digits nitrates. i know others with 300-400ish, i keep mine below 200 cause that's the more realistic figure for me with 2 WC a week... no issues with discus or even wild caught altums. i guess when your tap water already has detectable nitrites/nitrates, and has high chloramine which just releases ammonia (which ultimately becomes nitrates) after anti chlorine, nitrates always remain high and we make do with it. i did try with RO and denitrators, but just gave up one fine day and havent seen no difference with the fish ever since.

with smokers u actually have a huge range of data which proves how many of the chemicals are carcinogenic, and the number of ppl getting cancer due to smoking is undeniable (i'm a smoker myself at any rate lol). so if we're comparing nitrates to smoking, i would expect to see some glaring proof of fish getting sick or dying... which surprisingly enough i havent seen, both personally and from the many fish enthusiasts i know. all i see is ppl blaming anything above 50 nitrates as the cause of fish death overnight, which i cant believe at all cause i would have hundreds of mortalities by now if that were the case.

I don't have rays, I had tanks for years without water changes, back when I was 10 years old In 1984.
My tanks also smelled, and the water was yellow.
i guess we've all been there and done that. god knows i'll still be doing the same if it wasnt for the internet lol.

I know in oscar keeping world, 180ppm nitrates will lead to hole in the head and maybe a 4yr lifespan at best. Many other fish will develop dropsy and various fin rot issues with that level as well.
please do provide links to show that HIH, dropsy, fin rot etc are directly caused by 180ppm nitrates. i don't keep oscars anymore, but i guarentee u at the period of my oscar keeping i was 100% clueless on what water parameters are, and guaging by my once a month WC back then i highly doubt it'll have been lower than a couple of hundreds. i've asked friends with massively overstocked tanks to check their nitrates after years of running (they never did check for nitrates ever), and... u know the result.

The most glaring contradiction to your statement is none of my fish have fallen sick, let alone get to the stage of dropsy. i don't use UV, no salt for preventive measure, not even melafix when there's huge open wounds. by your reasoning my fish would be a sickly mottley bunch by now, but in reality it's quite the opposite?

i think i sound like a broken record by now harping over the same points repeatedly. point is i've read up on all the dangers and potential side effects of nitrates over the years, and i'm simply questioning how high is high, and why are my fish alive and kicking and apparantly more problem free than those with <40 nitrates?

The one thing I can think of, about high nitrates is the amount of silicate, phosphate, phosphorus, sulfate, and similar compounds that lead to, bacteria blooms, diatomaceous growths, and weird slime algae stuff.
Crazy little blooms of hydra, and water conditions that convince daphnia to go dormant.
no bacterial or algae blooms for me, at times i get clear green water which i like and would love to make it a permanent thing but it goes away with the WC. weird slime like growth on the glass /tank surface i do get if i dont clean them for more than 2 weeks. i always thought they were a bacterial film and never got any harm outta it apart from being unsightly so i just use a sponge on a stick n clean that crap once a month.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I don't think nitrates alone are nearly as big a deal as people make them out to be. When they do have an issue with high nitrates causing issues, nitrites and ammonia are usually present also.

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
Looks like your aro is off his hunger strike
yea.. should be a her. normal for mature reds but i have no idea why it's eating sinking pellets n not bothering with frozen food heh. so where do i know u from... FB or arofanatics lol

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
with smokers u actually have a huge range of data which proves how many of the chemicals are carcinogenic, and the number of ppl getting cancer due to smoking is undeniable (i'm a smoker myself at any rate lol). so if we're comparing nitrates to smoking, i would expect to see some glaring proof of fish getting sick or dying... which surprisingly enough i havent seen, both personally and from the many fish enthusiasts i know.
This data wasn't available when people started smoking. Hundreds of years people were dying to cancer, pneumonia, and other complications of smoking. It was compelling data of lowered life expectancy and increased health factors that caused people to take a step back and look at tobacco as a source. The difference in my eyes, is that we could record the data of smoking related health complications from hundreds of millions of people, over hundreds of years. I only know of a handful of people who have kept rays for 20+ years and not enough ray keepers to make a worthwhile sample size.

Add in many other features we only experience in the aquarium for various species (Captive specimens being significantly largers, longer lived, smaller, shorter lived etc) and a lack of constant ammonia/nitrite/nitrate from the wild and it becomes a topic that would require decades of study to provide meaningful results.

Just my 2 cents, it's certainly humbled me in my efforts trying to keep sub 20 nitrates.

RayJunkie

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2017
I don't think nitrates alone are nearly as big a deal as people make them out to be. When they do have an issue with high nitrates causing issues, nitrites and ammonia are usually present also.
yea that's what i'm trying to prove, that 50-100ish nitrates really aint that big a deal, it definately doesnt cause deaths overnight.

thing is i see a lot of posts where ammonia n nitrites aint detectable, so nitrates get the blame automatically.. if ppl go with that then they're potentially ignoring the real problem that led to the death of the fish. i don't believe in unexplainable SDS (sudden death syndrome) where the fish is eating one minute n dead the next... if it's not the water then there has to be another reason... if the fish looks perfectly fine to the eye then do a scrape or dissection .. there always has to be a reason even if it's not immediately obvious.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store