Juvenile jack dempsey won't eat

Ohionick2017

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Yeah i plan on getting a sunsun 304b soon to go along with the sponge filter. The jd died Sunday so i did a 50% water change. I'm not sure whether or not i want to get another one yet or try to let the tank cycle fishless.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Yeah i plan on getting a sunsun 304b soon to go along with the sponge filter. The jd died Sunday so i did a 50% water change. I'm not sure whether or not i want to get another one yet or try to let the tank cycle fishless.
Sorry to hear about that :(. Sounds like my pleco that didn't eat.

Unfortunately, I would be sterilising everything and starting over. Cichlids are usually crazy for food. The little guy must have been sick

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Get the largest bottle you can get of hydrogen peroxide (at least 32 oz) and dump the entire contents into the 55g. Let the filter run, and within 48 hours it will just become water.

I don't know what effect it will have on your Anubis plant.

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
How would i go about sterilizing the tank?
As Rocksor suggested, I would boil your sponge filter (only the sponge, not the plastic or the metal parts leave them in the tank). I personally would also be replacing the substrate but I'm crazy about sterilising equipment.

crav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2017
I would personally sterilize it all, and start from scratch. Use some bio accelerators, like Seachem Stability, to try and speed up the cycle a little.

And try to use a plastic box, bucket, spare tank, etc as a quarantine before putting fish on your display. You can use a seeded sponge filter from your main tank. Treat the fish for everything before putting on display, even if you have no signs of disease. This will prevent or minimize things like parasites, bad bacteria, ich, etc from getting into your tank. Sterilize everything, including decoration, substrate, fish, and plants.

In the long run, preventively quarantine and sterilization will help a LOT with your tank's health. I learned this the hard way. Even if people sell you "quarantined" and disease free fish, you should still do this, as anything can happen in LFS and fish distributors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store