juvinile Alligator Gar isn't eating alot

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Hello all, I have a 3 inch Alligator Gar , and I bought him 2 days ago, and I have seen him eat 2 guppys so far (possibly 3 I can't find the other one so I assume he ate it) the guppys were about 1/4 inch+-. I'm wondering if that's enough or not enough food, and I keep on being paranoid about this because I just lost a baby rtc, but my new rtc seems as if he is breathing a little heavier than what I think normal would be, I have had him for 2 days and he is about 4 inches water paramiters are fine in both tanks and the rtc tank has been well established so I could be over thinking it but just wanted to make sure that semi heavy breathing at times is normal, and it is not gill curl BTW thanks so much everyone

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Tank size?
Tank age?
Water parameters? Not just "fine", exact stats.
Tankmates?
How large are the guppies?

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
Tank size?
Tank age?
Water parameters? Not just "fine", exact stats.
Tankmates?
How large are the guppies?
55 gallon bare bone tank with floating plants and a couple rocks
Nitrate .10
No ammonia
No nitrite pH of 7.8
Water I's kinda hard and alkaline don't remember those numbers
I put the water level a little lower so filter makes more action on top of water for air

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
with young fish I tend to just keep a big supply of feeders in with them until they've put on size and I'm ready to break them onto prepared foods.

Is the gar breathing heavy as well? Or just the RTC

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
with young fish I tend to just keep a big supply of feeders in with them until they've put on size and I'm ready to break them onto prepared foods.

It's not really breathing heavy but not completely relaxed ya know?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It's not really breathing heavy but not completely relaxed ya know?
its also new to its home and probably still stressed. keep the lights off, give it a gooood supply of feeders to pick off at its own leisure and time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store