Keeping a large tank in an RV?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
If a RV is the option, get a small enclosed trailer to be your fish room. Build it to be water proof. No soft wood or carpet. You can park it under your awning when parked.

No need to pull all the time

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I’m i the only one thinking that this is a terrible idea. Not to be a troll here but it might be a better idea to let someone else take care of the fish and get something more practical to keep.

Reactions: J. H.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
May be, but I recently heard of some one spending $12,000 on a vet bill for a small yorky.

So it's all about availability of cash to do it right. A off the shelf tank, inside a rv. Is probably a poor choice.

But everyone has to make a few of those to learn from.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Get some enclosed tanks installed and pump 2/3 of the water from the fish tank there before driving. When you reach your destination, pump water back to the tank.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I'm not sure this is a very good idea. I may have no experience with this (unless being in a car with somebody who had an open cup of coffee counts lol :p), but based off the episode of "Tanked" that was previously mentioned and some basic physics, I can tell you this is probably not a good idea. Try driving a car with a tank full of water, the water will slosh everywhere and stress the fish out, it might break the tank, the RV may not even be able to hold that much weight, the tank with water will be 800+ pounds in such a small space. If I were you I'd have a friend or family member take care of the lungfish, you will not be able to provide it with a large enough tank in your situation and the fish will get very stressed out.

Reactions: markstrimaran

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
I have thought about doing the same thing because I miss my fish while we are Camping, I Looked at the floor and frame in mine and I believe you could support it enough to put a 100 gallon it one, But you could not drive it or tow it if a 5th wheel, The water would be everywhere!!!!

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
This is not a viable idea...Sorry. you would quickly exceed the weight limit with all but the smallest tanks. RV's are basically made of balsa wood, seriously. Water is the sworn enemy of RV's everywhere. One major mishap and anywhere in the zip code of the tank will be destroyed. I love fish tanks, RV's and lungfishes but IDK how you would pull this off.

A solution...I kept my lungfish in a rubbermaid tote when I moved from Florida to philly in the front seat and then in the apartment. They could care less how much room they have as long as they are able to eat and breathe. If you are pulling a fith wheel you could keep him in a container in the bed of the truck, and set up some sort of a pond when your parked.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Reinforcing the chassis could be done, but is expensive on some RVs. Depends on the chassis.

BUT . . . Every aquarium comes with this warning:

" Do Not Move the aquarium when filled! "

It can split wide open from motion.

Anybody who ever drove with a cup of coffee should foresee the sloshing issue.

A sealed container 100% full cannot slosh.

Unfortunately a lungfish needs air, so you can't fill a big jug full and cap it to prevent the sloshing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store