Kewpie's Pewpie err Fish

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Sorry magpie magpie I missed this. Are you thinking about trying to get a female Polleni when the time comes? That could be a good idea. My female has just as much personality as my male, but it doesn't come out as much because of how boisterous he can be.
I'm not sure yet, I'm just collecting data for when the time comes. ;)

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Cool!

Is he the one ripping up her tail then?
No, I used to have 3. The third one died and he was the one who did the permanent damage to my poor girl. The one she's in with now has always been good to her, chasing but never actually hurting. She's never been better since they paired up recently, I've never seen her so colorful. I think the aquascaping and the light being on the 24/7 cycle has been very beneficial for them.

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Oh, nice! Let me know how they do when they spawn, and what they're like to the others. Might be fun to have a pair if they're not *******s once they spawn.

(More info storing going on....) :)

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Oh, nice! Let me know how they do when they spawn, and what they're like to the others. Might be fun to have a pair if they're not *******s once they spawn.

(More info storing going on....) :)
The only fish with them are two Ptychochromis Oligacanthus, I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it. The Polleni were kind of rough on them last night. I am like completely elated that these two have finally paired up, it's been a year and a half almost.

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I'm hesitant to get pairs of some of the larger cichlids. I had a pair of wild Laetacara Araguaiae spawn several times in my community tank, and although they didn't truly hurt or kill anyone, I rehomed them because whenever they did, they stressed everyone else out and they "claimed" a good half of the tank.

I wish I had kept them in their own tank though. Watching them flirt, spawn and care for the fry was awesome, and their colors when breeding were gorgeous.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I'm hesitant to get pairs of some of the larger cichlids. I had a pair of wild Laetacara Araguaiae spawn several times in my community tank, and although they didn't truly hurt or kill anyone, I rehomed them because whenever they did, they stressed everyone else out and they "claimed" a good half of the tank.

I wish I had kept them in their own tank though. Watching them flirt, spawn and care for the fry was awesome, and their colors when breeding were gorgeous.
Yeah I'm pretty much done with cichlid communities in general, it's too much work and you can still get it wrong despite doing everything right, too unpredictable. The whole spawning ritual of cichlids is truly fascinating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store