Kewpie's Pewpie err Fish

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 What size tank do you reckon I could keep my six Heterospilus in, for life?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 What size tank do you reckon I could keep my six Heterospilus in, for life?
I think it depends how many males you have in your group.
Females will stay smaller and your males should reach around 10 inches, 12 being exceptional.
I would look at something like a 6x2x2 for the long haul.
As you will know,hetros are very slow growers and are also relatively peaceful.
This should allow you plenty of time to upgrade.
Do you know how many males to females you have yet?

Reactions: magpie

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I think it depends how many males you have in your group.
Females will stay smaller and your males should reach around 10 inches, 12 being exceptional.
I would look at something like a 6x2x2 for the long haul.
As you will know,hetros are very slow growers and are also relatively peaceful.
This should allow you plenty of time to upgrade.
Do you know how many males to females you have yet?
I unfortunately have no idea how many males/females I have yet. How big do they have to be to be able to sex them?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I unfortunately have no idea how many males/females I have yet. How big do they have to be to be able to sex them?
They are a really hard fish to sex. I think it will be easier to spot males by behaviour than appearances.
I think by around 6 to 7 inches you may start to spot a more masculine shape appearing on your males,especially the head region.
I have also heard it said that males dorsal fins slope more steeply at the end than females do. I must admit I have never noticed this personally.
Unless you vent them territorial displays and domination will be your first signs of who's who.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Yeah I'm pretty much done with cichlid communities in general, it's too much work and you can still get it wrong despite doing everything right, too unpredictable. The whole spawning ritual of cichlids is truly fascinating.
I agree, most communities especially CA don't work in the long term unless you have a pond. This is why I stick with CAs that like being in groups. IMO it's more interesting to keep a group of one or more species than a tank of random species. At times I still want to do a wet pet or a breeding pair.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I agree, most communities especially CA don't work in the long term unless you have a pond. This is why I stick with CAs that like being in groups. IMO it's more interesting to keep a group of one or more species than a tank of random species. At times I still want to do a wet pet or a breeding pair.
Yeah I keep waffling between what I want. I either want a "peaceful" CA community with Oscura Heterospilus, my JD, and some variety of Thoricthys and some hardy livebearers. Or a pair of Haitiensis. Decisions.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Yeah I keep waffling between what I want. I either want a "peaceful" CA community with Oscura Heterospilus, my JD, and some variety of Thoricthys and some hardy livebearers. Or a pair of Haitiensis. Decisions.
Think I would stick with the hetros.
They are stunning as adults,well worth the wait and would look great with a big shoal of swordtails or poecilla.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Think I would stick with the hetros.
They are stunning as adults,well worth the wait and would look great with a big shoal of swordtails or poecilla.
Yeah man I can't give up on them. Been growing them up for the last 6 months

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think these single species tanks are looking great :)

Only CA here are stuff like dempseys and meeki

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
J jaws7777 when could you tell that Chewy was a girl? Can you tell with your baby hets yet?

kewpiefishypewpie kewpiefishypewpie - can we get some more pics or videos of your Polleni and Hets? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store