Killer Loach

marke14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Although I don't own loaches, I have had other fish go missing entirely because I believe they died and went unnoticed in my tank; once they are dead, other fish of all varieties will pick at the corpse.

TheGus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Lompoc, CA
Hearing this doesn't surprise me at all. From my experience, loaches certainly fall under the category of wolves in sheeps clothing.

I've had my 75 gallon loach tank set up for about a year now. On more than one occasion I have witnessed both clown loaches and yoyo loaches chasing after my (former) parrot fishes. The loaches would place their mouths within the parrot's gills and either flash their spines or appear to be biting the insides of their gills (i heard the clicking sounds that normally accompany them eating a treasured food). There wasn't much I could do about the blatant aggression as my 75 is the only tank im allowed and not many people are interested in rehoming a mated pair of parrot fish even if they are free...

RIP Mo'Mo & Freckles :cry:

So to answer your question, yes, I'm sure that the loaches played some role in the killings of the others be it from unchecked aggression, stress, not feeding, etc.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I f fed properly and with similar sized fish I would think it would be fine but there is always and exception to the rule.

Good Job on the rescue:)

loach43

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Indiana
Some loaches will indeed kill tankmates if you don't watch them. They'll do it by going after other fishes eyes and/or slimecoat. RT botias are noted for that behavior. I once had an approx. 4inch "blueberry botia" take out a full grown sturisoma overnight. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store