Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2020

parrthed

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Charlestown
Mine eat hikari carnivore pellets, ebo aquaristik pellets. Mine don’t munch on veggies all that much but do get the occasional repashy soilent green.

Reactions: MFM

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Mine eat hikari carnivore pellets, ebo aquaristik pellets. Mine don’t munch on veggies all that much but do get the occasional repashy soilent green.
My old pleco used to love zucchini maybe yours will like it too
Thanks! I added a piece of zucchini and a carnivore pellet... we’ll see how it goes tomorrow morning haha

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
L134's are more on the carnivorous side than herbivorous. They prefer bloodworms (a couple of times a week) and I feed them Fluval Bug Bites for plecos. They'll eat up both of these offerings.

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Also as altums85 stated, feed them after the lights are off at night. If I feed them during the day the food just sits there until after dark.

MFM

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2009
SD
Most plecos eat driftwood when they are small, even hypancistrus will graze on driftwood just after losing their yolk sack.
Blood worms, all mine go nuts for them and shrimp pellets.
L134's are more on the carnivorous side than herbivorous. They prefer bloodworms (a couple of times a week) and I feed them Fluval Bug Bites for plecos. They'll eat up both of these offerings.
Thanks everyone! I’ve been feeding them the carnivore pellets, frozen baby brine shrimp, and some green beans at night and they eat it all up!

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
P. compta is an omnivore with a preference for meaty foods, Those are smallish fish so they need smallish foods or those that get soft easily. I would suggest Repashy gel foods, small frozen foods such as daphnia or small brine shrimp. The can eat smaller foods like cyclops or BBS also. They might take some of the SF Bay mini blood worms but I would be careful as smaller fish can choke on worms to big for them to eat.

Repashy makes a veggie food as well as a few meaty ones. I tend to make my own mixes combining about 80% of a meaty mix and 20% of the veggie mix. This insures the fish get their veggies with ease. I never fed my comptas veggies, only the Repashy combos. I do the same for the various Hypancistrus I breed as well. One advantage to using Repashy is that the smallest free swimming fry and the largest adult can both eat from the same piece.

Finally, I am not a fan of trying to breed plecos using a diet heavy in commercial foods. However, U still have a mix of the kensfish.com mini-sticks I used for my plecos and corys. I try to limit this to 10-15% of their diet. It is nowhere near as healthful as the foods mentioned above, but it is fast and easy for me to hit my 20 odd tanks with sticks and flakes whereas a Repashy feeding will take me 30 - 49 minutes the way I do it. What I can tell you is our choice of what we feed our fish is one of the most important decisions we make. This is especially true if one wants to encourage their fish to spawn.

Here is a link to Alan Repashy's site. I use The Igapo Explorer (my clown loaches shred this stuff), Bottom Scratcher. Spawn & Grow and Soilent Green.

Last comment re feeding. The best choice is usually live, both meat and veggie (fresh), next would be the frozen versions of live foods, then Repashy and then the rest. Of course this is just my opinion as always and others may have great success doing things differently.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store