L095?

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Well, I've spent a lot of money on plecos this month, too much in fact. Of course, strolling into one of my local shops today they had a ~12" L095. It's expensive but as I've only encountered one in person before I'm very tempted.

A few questions. It seems very mellow but would be considerably larger than any of my other plecos. Is a 150 gallon big enough for one of these to be happy? I read they max out at 15" is that accurate? Would love to find a smaller one but the owner of the store said it's doubtful he'd have an opportunity to get more any time in the foreseeable future. How rare are these really?

Last week while picking up a bunch of placos I found a big L453. I passed on it as I just got a nice L27 and an L253. Have been thinking I'd get the 453 next month. As that and the L095 are roughly the same price and I'll likely only get one for now, which one would you go with any why?

Appreciate the input!

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
I have 2 L95. One I just picked up and is quarantine. The other that I have had for a while now is awesome. He is super chill, very inquisitive and the epitome of graceful. Jeff Rapps has/had some smaller ones. Mine are about 11" and 9".

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Thats a hard one but even though I prefer the way the L453 looks I think the L095 would work better in the tank long term because of eventual size of all the plecos.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
Thats a hard one but even though I prefer the way the L453 looks I think the L095 would work better in the tank long term because of eventual size of all the plecos.
I'm not too concerned with the L453 ending up too small, it was surprisingly large and bigger than most of my of my current plecos. Similar in length and bulk to my 6" L27.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
I have 2 L95. One I just picked up and is quarantine. The other that I have had for a while now is awesome. He is super chill, very inquisitive and the epitome of graceful. Jeff Rapps has/had some smaller ones. Mine are about 11" and 9".
What size tank is yours in? Is 150 gallon pushing it?

exodus1500

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2013
USA - Ferndale, MI
www.facebook.com
It's a 180 right now, I think he is fin in it. They are a little bulky width wise, but mine glides around nicely. Mine is a gentle giant, my 2" 104 clown attacked him and he just kinda eyeballed him. Reminded me of the Ents in lord of the rings(with how chill and nonchalant he is) and the hobbits.

DHarris

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Los Angeles
That's a great analogy! The one at the shop seemed VERY mellow. Just concerned a 12" one might be cramped in a 150g. Might need to rearrange a bit to create a bit more open space.

Am I correct in assuming the L453 is less common?

A

AquaAlex1993

If it were me, I'd get the L095. I love the orange on the checks.
The L453 is also a nice pleco.
It is a hard decision to make because both are so nice.
If it were my decision at the end of the day, I'd go with the L095 because of the orange cheeks, and the cool ''COMBS'' or spines running across the body.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I'm not too concerned with the L453 ending up too small, it was surprisingly large and bigger than most of my of my current plecos. Similar in length and bulk to my 6" L27.
While the L453 is a similar size he won't get much bigger

That's a great analogy! The one at the shop seemed VERY mellow. Just concerned a 12" one might be cramped in a 150g. Might need to rearrange a bit to create a bit more open space.

Am I correct in assuming the L453 is less common?
I believe the L453 is less common because I've never heard of the King Arabesque only the Queen Arabesque. Granted I've only been pleco hunting for 9 months but I've collected a decent array of plecos in that time (L027a 'Xingu', L137, L169, L190, L206, L264, L425, Hypostomus laplatae, possible Pterygoplichthys lituratus(still trying to verify), Longfin Super Red Bristlenose, Long and Shortfin Red Marble Bristlenose, L144 Blue-Eye Bristlenose, and Shortfin Green Dragon Bristlenose)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store