L114/LDA07 TACUTU LEOPARD CACTUS PLECO

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
I've witnessed all the slight name changes, Imperial Zebra, Alta Mira Zebra, True Zebra, and simply L46. Can anyone shed light on the L114 and now a LDA07 Tacutu? L114 still go for $59 around my and upwards of $100 online (small). But now I see a $400 described as above, I have 2 beautiful L114 that look identical to an LDA07 Tacutu Leopard? the Rio Demini/Negro and Rio Tacutu aren't very close, not like the XIngu and Tapajos where sub species co-exist. New species or name game?

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
if it is anything like bichirs there maybe a slight visual difference because of catch location and with this being a new catch location the price is higher. But if more is brought in then the price should drop

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
Yes, I've seen that now with the L024's and a new collection site as well as many L#'s especially being designated on the Xingu by collection locale. I know common names change as we've seen to reignite interest especially as more species are hard to aquire.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Do your two get along? I had to separate my 114 from my other plecos.

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
So far, in fact there's a smaller L273 Titanic with the two L114's. All seem to give each other adequate space, from experience hiding places are a must with any pleco that may show aggression to others, with enough caves they all get along, I always make sure there is 1 more cave than there are plecos. I'm setting up s 210g to do a Tapajos biotope so I will move the L273, L024, my blue eye Bruno, dwarf pikes (regani) to the new tank and free up some space for the L114's.

Reactions: monkeybike

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
So far, in fact there's a smaller L273 Titanic with the two L114's. All seem to give each other adequate space, from experience hiding places are a must with any pleco that may show aggression to others, with enough caves they all get along, I always make sure there is 1 more cave than there are plecos. I'm setting up s 210g to do a Tapajos biotope so I will move the L273, L024, my blue eye Bruno, dwarf pikes (regani) to the new tank and free up some space for the L114's.
Seems like no matter how many caves and hiding spots I make, all my plecos want to pile into one corner. The current mix seems to have settled into a group. I get the occasional split fin but nothing extreme. The 114 was leaving bite marks in the Royals when it was with them.

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Seems like no matter how many caves and hiding spots I make, all my plecos want to pile into one corner. The current mix seems to have settled into a group. I get the occasional split fin but nothing extreme. The 114 was leaving bite marks in the Royals when it was with them.
The price difference between the two L114/lda07 is outrageous. They are collected from different parts of the river but still looks so similar. I’m old school and going with what I know and that’s L600 or nothing at all.

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
L#'s don't change WC vs TR. It's simply a collecting locale issue, when a same/similar species is found geographically "close" to another sometimes a morph of said species gets it's own L# until it can be confirmed whether it is the same or different. Lately a lot of pleco's are being designated by the collection location, I've seen it on L024, L025, and so on. I actually really like knowing the exact spot they are being collected, but it shouldn't make them more expensive.

salt_creep

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Orlando, Fl
I've witnessed all the slight name changes, Imperial Zebra, Alta Mira Zebra, True Zebra, and simply L46. Can anyone shed light on the L114 and now a LDA07 Tacutu? L114 still go for $59 around my and upwards of $100 online (small). But now I see a $400 described as above, I have 2 beautiful L114 that look identical to an LDA07 Tacutu Leopard? the Rio Demini/Negro and Rio Tacutu aren't very close, not like the XIngu and Tapajos where sub species co-exist. New species or name game?
I noticed that too, the pictures I saw of "Tacutu" looked just like L114. I only found them from one seller on ebay... looked like someone is trying to pass cheap L114 off for big bucks. Definitely not LDA07/L600

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store