Rell XV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2019
Iowa
I have a 1000 Gallon aquarium that I was wanting to stock with Peacock Bass, but I am not able to get them in my area for anything that isn't absurdly expensive. I already have a 7" Silver Arowana enjoying itself in the aquarium, so I'm looking for something that can be compatible with Silver Arowana.
I don't want anything aggressive that will attack fish of similar size to itself, and I don't want fish that exceed 3 feet in maximum length. My Silver is going to be my largest fish in this aquarium.
I had some ideas of my own:

Red Belly Pacu
I thought about them, because I can get them anywhere for relatively cheap. Though I am concerned about their aggression. I'm not sure just how aggressive they are, since I have heard about how aggressively Black Pacu feed.

Largemouth Bass
I've already looked up my state laws for keeping Largemouth and even talked to the DNR, I know how to keep them without getting fined or breaking the law. The main thing keeping me away from Largemouth is their appetite. They only get about 29" max length which is fine, but they eat so much, and I'm worried it could eat my 10"-12" Severums.

Oscars
I like Oscars but not really their aggression. Their aggression is very mild compared to other fish I have kept, but even still I don't want my Oscars attacking my Pictus Catfish, my Severums or my Bichir (If I get those.)
I'm still on the fence about them.

If you guys have any other suggestions, I just cannot think of any. I'm looking for anything that doesn't get over 36" in length, won't put the lives of my Severums in jeopardy, isn't very expensive, and isn't very aggressive.

Also do you think my Silver Arowana will be a problem for my Severums? The tank I have is 4 feet deep and the Severums stay at the bottom most of the time. Also my Severums have lots of hiding places, and my fish are fed a varied and good diet for each individual fish.
Also I already have a Florida Gar and don't want any more Gar since the one I have is my favorite ever and I don't need another.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What's the max amount you are willing to spend on a fish? I assume you will not buy fish online and have it shipped to you.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Since you are apparently interested in Bass, research Parachromis Dovii. I think they are referred to as Rainbow Bass in Central America. Dovii are sold for about $10 each in my area. A 1000 gal. tank probably would work well.

Reactions: BichirKing

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
What about a bowfin?

What kind of pictus do you have L. Pictus or P. Pictus

Asianbucketbrigade

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2018
A single Emperor Cichlid would enjoy that much room, they look great, give that similar giant cichlid peacock bass feel and look amazing, and they're relatively cheap when you can find them. An Armatus would be a nice addition but would be on the pricier side compared to the other fish youd like added.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Since you are apparently interested in Bass, research Parachromis Dovii. I think they are referred to as Rainbow Bass in Central America. Dovii are sold for about $10 each in my area. A 1000 gal. tank probably would work well.
Doubtful he will get those since he doesn't want anything to happen to the aro, gar, or severums

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
Do you have a growout tank? Even a 55 gallon could grow out Peacock bass to 7-8"......You can buy 3" Bass for 15 bucks each in small groups no problem.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
What’s the dimensions of the tank, how about a school of golden dorado, very pretty fish and very active

Reactions: Rell XV
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store