Large Return Pump Diffuser Options?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
My 325g tank is nearly up and running but an issue I keep worrying about is the direct water pressure coming out of the return nozzle. The return pump will be pumping about 2600 gph straight from the powerhead so probably around 2000 to 2100 once it makes it over the 54" journey to the return. In my mind I keep imagining the water shooting out of the 1.25" nozzle, dispersing after hitting the aquarium wall, and whipping up all the sand and wood in the tank. Ive tried finding spray bars for large tanks but I cant find much and the ones I do probably would just get blown off from the pressure. Does anyone know of any products to help diffuse the return flow on large output pumps? Is it something I even need to worry about? Or if I point the nozzle towards the opposite end of the tank will the water diffuse itself? Ive considered well screens, french drain pipes, and just going and getting some Schedule 80 pvc and drilling 1/4" slits in it myself. Input would be greatly appreciated :nilly:

Thacarter54632

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
Honestly diy is the way to go once you've reached a certain size. To make a spray bar you just need 3 90 degree fpt elbows, 2 close nipples, a nipple and cap the length you want the spray bar, and a hose barb. Put together with teflon tape, drill holes, and adjust as needed.

That being said I think you would be fine with a duck bill nozzle or two and proper aiming.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yeah lots of ways you could DIY that. Not sure if it's what you're looking for but I have 2 of these dual nozzle robo-arms (at different ends of the tank) on my 375g's 1" return line (with 10,000 l/hr dc pump). They add some good flexibility on how you can direct the flow.

s-l300.jpg

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Ended up running out to the hardware store and made up a rig from some high pressure pvc. Looks better than anything i saw online haha, itll do the job. Thanks guys

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I use a pump inlet strainer basket with an NPT connection. It avoids shooting straight down and disperses well out the sides, and has the bonus of not letting fish go up the return line if you turn off the pump.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is a splitter manifold I just made for my 180 gal, I know its not pretty, but because the pump is fairly strong for the species kept in the tank now, rather than throttling flow back, I prefer to split that flow into 4 influent entry points, with 1 inch openings
fullsizeoutput_18da.jpeg
So far the plants aren't blasted all over, and the fish seem no worse for the wear.
fullsizeoutput_18de.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_190e.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store