Largemouth bass growth rate

cdugas99

Feeder Fish
Dec 14, 2016
I started an aquarium with a bluegill and a largemouth bass about six inches that I caught in a cast net. The fish all have more than enough room and I feed the two of them live fish, shrimp and the occasional crawfish. They eat everything I give them and are very healthy. My question is how fast will the bass grow? The size has not changed since I caught it a month ago but I'd like to know what to expect and any suggestions about anything else would also be appreciated.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Largemouth bass will grow very quickly to about 12inches then slow down a bit. But there are a lot of factors that determine growth. Temprature, Food, and water quality all play a huge roll in the speed of growth.

Natty Bumppo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2016
I started an aquarium with a bluegill and a largemouth bass about six inches that I caught in a cast net. . . . The size has not changed since I caught it a month ago but I'd like to know what to expect and any suggestions about anything else would also be appreciated.
We put a 3.5" largemouth bass from a local stream into a 29 gallon tank in October of this year. 2 months later, he's over 6". I'm new to aquarium keeping, but am stunned at how much he eats (he eats fish) and how much he's grown.
Tank is not heated, but stays around 68-70 degrees (same as room temperature). I thought he might eat 1 fish every few days, but it's much more than that.
He's going into the big tank at a local nature center after they've finished some upgrades to it in January. Meanwhile, we try to keep him in fish and worms,

cdugas99

Feeder Fish
Dec 14, 2016
what size tank do you have them in?
It's a tank someone gave me years ago so not exactly sure but my guess is around 30 gallons. I'm looking for a 75 gallon tank but I don't have much flexibility right now in cost and can't find any for less than $200.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
how often you changing the water also 75 aint going to last you long lm bass need a min of a 300g tank for 1 bass by it self . the gill will work out in 75. it might be prudent to see if a bass pro or cabelas will take the bass off your hands.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It's a tank someone gave me years ago so not exactly sure but my guess is around 30 gallons. I'm looking for a 75 gallon tank but I don't have much flexibility right now in cost and can't find any for less than $200.
Get a snap joint kiddy pool a 8ft one cost about $20 here.

Mattanthonyv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2016
The bass will outgrow the tank very quick. I suggest putting him in a small pond you can dig outside or a cheap above ground pool. The bass I kept in a 55 gallon grew from 3 in to 6 in in 2.5 months then moved him to a pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store