Largest tank you've successfully run with a single FX5?

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
As the title says, I know people here tend to go for the "more is better" kinda logic, but bwhat's the largest tank you've successfully run off a single FX5

I'm running one on my current 90g and thinking of upgrading to something around 180-220g. I know plenty about sumps and that's plan B, but for simplicity and budget just sticking with the FX5 is the preferred option. Stocking will be light to moderate.

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
I think it'll depend a bit on bioload as well

If you want to be on the high end of bioload with your tank, I'd probably do 1x per 100G

Reactions: David R

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If you want to be on the high end of bioload with your tank, I'd probably do 1x per 100G
Yep I guess ultimately it comes down to bioload. These days I prefer to run my tanks a bit more "natural" rather than cramming as many big fish into the tank as possible. It'll probably be a loosely South American community type tank, tetras, eartheaters, a few plecs etc. I'm not going to throw six oscars and an arowana in there!

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Light bioload with plants. Probably 1 would be sufficient.

I run 2x on a 150 for the heck of overfiltering.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I also have Pothos growing out of the tank. Fish like to swim through the roots and it does a great job with bioload. 2 Midas. 2 Pikes. Snook. 3 catfish all 10 inches to 1 foot. A few survivors of the Midas fry. Also forgot 1 Mayan and 1 Salvini. Alittle over stocked.

Reactions: David R

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I also have Pothos growing out of the tank. Fish like to swim through the roots and it does a great job with bioload. 2 Midas. 2 Pikes. Snook. 3 catfish all 10 inches to 1 foot. A few survivors of the Midas fry. Also forgot 1 Mayan and 1 Salvini. Alittle over stocked.
That's a fair bit of bioload alright, though I imagine the sponge filter would add a considerable amount of biological space of needed. I usually grow pothos in my tanks too, it certainly seems to help.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
At the moment, I am running two 180 gal tanks (one with a 125 gal sump as filtration).
I gave up on canisters about 20 years ago, finding them to totally inadequate for filtration of the fish I most like to keep, medium size cichlids.
The other 180 gal tank's only filtration is provided by water lettuce plants, and with circulation by a powerhead (it only contains 1 fish, an @ 12"-14" Gobiomorus dormitor, that is only fed once per week).
IMG_9319.jpeg
IMG_9019.jpeg
I must admit, I don't think of either 180 tanks as particularly large, for the fish they hold.
The cichlid/tetra tank holds about a dozen fish, with the largest about 5".
Some of the tetras get quite large, but the largest is at this point about half size.
Below one at almost full size, was eaten by the Goby before it got its own 180.
IMG_4027.jpeg
One of the ways I measure a tanks success, is by measuring its average water quality.
If my water change routine, and planted sump filtration keep parameters stable, and match the water quality these fish experience in nature,
that is a tank that is run successfully to me.
IMG_1885.jpeg
Above , the main tank, and its sump off to the right.
Below, to maintain that water quality, I find the plant to fish ratio must be heavily lopsided on the plant side
IMG_2414.jpegIMG_2426.jpeg
I try to test weekly, below are my average results.
IMG_0234.jpeg
Below a river where I catch my fish, and its grab sample test results.
IMG_6951.jpegIMG_6928.jpeg

Last edited:

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I would love to be able to keep fush outside year round. I'm lucky to get 4 months.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I also have a love hat relationship with duckweed. Helps so much with water quality. Also gets everywhere. I have to keep african cichlids just to eat the excess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store