LDA105 typhoon advice please

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Hi all first post in a little while, just looking for some advise from someone who knows more on the values of rare Plecos then me, anyway I have a chance to buy a LDA105 typhoon around 5-6" for £450 that's just under $600 US dollars, I'm not sure how rare they are over in the USA but they are border line impossible to obtain in the UK, I have know real idea on the value of LDA105's because I have no prices to compare them them to as they haven't been available to buy in shops in the UK (that I know about) for around 4 years, 4 years ago pier aquatics had some around 2"-3" and they were around the £300 mark, just under $400 USA dollars, what do you fellas think? Is it a good price? Or is it to much? I've tryied and tryied just to even get a ball park figure but know one seems to have a clue on there current value at that size, all help and thoughts are massively appreciated.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I guess like me no one has a clue, has anyone even seen them available in the USA because they don't seem to be in the UK, the one I have the chance to buy is from a personal collection as the dude has 4!!!!! A friend of mine who travels around a lot and works in the Asia area said they are available in Singapore from time to time but the prices are absolutely insane, he seen one around 14"-15" last year but it was 4000 Singapore dollers that's around £2200 UK pounds WOW, he said even the small ones are very very expensive, makes me lean towards the decision that £450 for a 5"-6" LDA105 isn't that bad at all. Anyone with any ideas on current values drop me a message, thanks

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I guess like me no one has a clue, has anyone even seen them available in the USA because they don't seem to be in the UK, the one I have the chance to buy is from a personal collection as the dude has 4!!!!! A friend of mine who travels around a lot and works in the Asia area said they are available in Singapore from time to time but the prices are absolutely insane, he seen one around 14"-15" last year but it was 4000 Singapore dollers that's around £2200 UK pounds WOW, he said even the small ones are very very expensive, makes me lean towards the decision that £450 for a 5"-6" LDA105 isn't that bad at all. Anyone with any ideas on current values drop me a message, thanks
2 vendor sold some recently for $600 each in the states, they were between 4-6”.

Reactions: ShadowStryder

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
2 vendor sold some recently for $600 each in the states, they were between 4-6”.
Thank very much buddy that info really helps me out as I'm still not sure what to do, so £450 pounds/$600 dollers seems about right for Him, I've seen him in the flesh today and he's a shade over 6" (the owner got him out the tank to measure him so no doubt) so price seems good in my opinion, as he's bigger then I thought he'd be, and size obviously plays a massive part on value

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Thank very much buddy that info really helps me out as I'm still not sure what to do, so £450 pounds/$600 dollers seems about right for Him, I've seen him in the flesh today and he's a shade over 6" (the owner got him out the tank to measure him so no doubt) so price seems good in my opinion, as he's bigger then I thought he'd be, and size obviously plays a massive part on value
I paid $540 for a 4” typhoon shipped to my door earlier this year. So 6” is even better the only thing is some typhoon have more orange than others.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
I paid $540 for a 4” typhoon shipped to my door earlier this year. So 6” is even better the only thing is some typhoon have more orange than others.
He was very orange, I wish I took a photograph now to get your opinion, his spots were very solid and orange his tail and fins were also very orange with lovely long lairs on his tail, I here some of them have white spots instead of orange, is that true?

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
He was very orange, I wish I took a photograph now to get your opinion, his spots were very solid and orange his tail and fins were also very orange with lovely long lairs on his tail, I here some of them have white spots instead of orange, is that true?
Some do seem like their spots are white instead of orange either it’s wash out and stress or just not attractive. If you say it has a lot of orange you should get it. In my opinion there one other plecos out there that has a orange like the typhoon.

Jonnyakawombell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2010
durham
Some do seem like their spots are white instead of orange either it’s wash out and stress or just not attractive. If you say it has a lot of orange you should get it. In my opinion there one other plecos out there that has a orange like the typhoon.
Thanks for the advice buddy, I'm seriously thinking about it, I'm going to think about it over the week end and then make a decision on Monday, I love LDA105's there one of my all time favourites, it just the cost is huge, it's even more expensive then my blue eyed panaque, but then on the flip side I really want one and I might not get another chance for god knows how long

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for the advice buddy, I'm seriously thinking about it, I'm going to think about it over the week end and then make a decision on Monday, I love LDA105's there one of my all time favourites, it just the cost is huge, it's even more expensive then my blue eyed panaque, but then on the flip side I really want one and I might not get another chance for god knows how long
Post pics if you get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store