Leaving for trip

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
I have somebody coming over to look after two tanks. My question is should I instruct this person to do a water change while I am gone or will the fish be OK to do a water change the day before and the day after I return? I have two Oscars and two convicts in one tank and four African cichlids in a 30 gallon tank.

What are your thoughts with the water changes?

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have somebody coming over to look after two tanks. My question is should I instruct this person to do a water change while I am gone or will the fish be OK to do a water change the day before and the day after I return? I have two Oscars and two convicts in one tank and four African cichlids in a 30 gallon tank.

How long are u going away?

Reactions: tlindsey

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
That sounds like an heavy stock for a 30g. I show him how to water change while you're gone. Assuming he's going to come over daily or so to feed.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Hello; So two tanks. We do not know the size of the Oscar tank nor the Oscars or Convicts so cannot say what the need might be for that tank.
Four African cichlids in the 30 gallon may not be too bad if small.

My normal advice for folks being away for up to two weeks is to not have an inexperienced person come in to do anything. I put lights on a timer. I have an air bubbler of some sort going in addition to a power filter. I at most would do decent feeding a couple days before leaving and a WC as close as possible before leaving. I would usually just leave the tanks on their own while gone.

I have had many times away over the last five decades and my worst problems were when someone fed or did something to the tanks. So much less likely to have problems.

If the person is experienced that can be different thing altogether. But an inexperienced person can screw things up in very novel ways. Not just killing fish but breaking tanks or messing up filters or just spilling water. You call tho and good luck.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
Day before I leave a 75 percent water change and filter maintenance. I do a 50 percent gravel vac week before and 50 percent gravel vac with my pre vacation water change.

I pre make food portions before I leave to take guess workbout of feedings for whoever I have coming by and usually have them feed every other day.

If water changes are needed have a maintenance professional do so.

Backup battery on your air pumps.

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Hello; So two tanks. We do not know the size of the Oscar tank nor the Oscars or Convicts so cannot say what the need might be for that tank.
Four African cichlids in the 30 gallon may not be too bad if small.

My normal advice for folks being away for up to two weeks is to not have an inexperienced person come in to do anything. I put lights on a timer. I have an air bubbler of some sort going in addition to a power filter. I at most would do decent feeding a couple days before leaving and a WC as close as possible before leaving. I would usually just leave the tanks on their own while gone.

I have had many times away over the last five decades and my worst problems were when someone fed or did something to the tanks. So much less likely to have problems.

If the person is experienced that can be different thing altogether. But an inexperienced person can screw things up in very novel ways. Not just killing fish but breaking tanks or messing up filters or just spilling water. You call tho and good luck.
The other tank is 112 gallon, and the 30 gallon. One Oscar is 7in , the other is around 5”. And the convicts are small

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
why don't just do a WC now... and no WC and feeding for 9 days and see if your water parameters hold up...

if you have a auto fish feeder, you can try to set it to feed abit every 2 days or so

I left my tanks for 10 days with alternate day feeding with no issue..... my tank is considered overstocked in the western world

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Let me be more clear in my opinion. The feeding of healthy fish for up to two weeks is not necessary. Fish are not like us and can go that long. With no feeding the tank water quality stays more stable during the time. I first began to notice a few decades ago that my tanks looked better and had better water quality after I had been gone for a few days. I slowly realized I was guilty of overfeeding and began to change my feeding practice. I now feed lightly with two or three fasting days each week. But to each his/her own way.

The Oscar tank is fairly large and the Oscar is not big so that is another factor tending in my opinion that the likely better course is to not have an inexperienced person fool with a tank . My opinion is based on experience but the way I see things is just that. My only other question remaining is the experience of the person coming in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store