Leaving for trip

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
My only real issues are evaporation and feeding.

We have a part-time housekeeper who has worked for us over 20 years.
After she killed my angelfish (I never told her to feed them!) I started a system for my tanks.

I still don't trust her with anything complex, but she will come every day for the dogs and cats so I don't deny them.

I will make up a bottle of water and attach a baggie of food, for each tank she needs to touch, for each day they need attention, with the day marked on the bag, and sit them on the tank.

She just has to dump in a quart or a pint, and whatever food I leave, on the right day.

She was shocked at first with how little food I left.

I tried just not feeding them at all for a week, but my Africans killed a lovely expensive catfish for dinner and ate him. My convicts were chewed on badly too. Now I let her feed every 2 days, which works.

Still, I hold her hand and show her everything. Where to put the water in and food in, and at least how to shut off the pumps if a hose leaks or something.

One time I came home to find she'd put the food into a hole on my custom made sea shell aquarium hood, which was not the feeding hole. You had to pick up a shell and drop the food in.

She picked up an illuminated shell, and dumped food into the lamp every day, and we came home to the smell of roasting fishmeal, and some very hungry Rio Tetras.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
My only real issues are evaporation and feeding.

We have a part-time housekeeper who has worked for us over 20 years.
After she killed my angelfish (I never told her to feed them!) I started a system for my tanks.

I still don't trust her with anything complex, but she will come every day for the dogs and cats so I don't deny them.

I will make up a bottle of water and attach a baggie of food, for each tank she needs to touch, for each day they need attention, with the day marked on the bag, and sit them on the tank.

She just has to dump in a quart or a pint, and whatever food I leave, on the right day.

She was shocked at first with how little food I left.

I tried just not feeding them at all for a week, but my Africans killed a lovely expensive catfish for dinner and ate him. My convicts were chewed on badly too. Now I let her feed every 2 days, which works.

Still, I hold her hand and show her everything. Where to put the water in and food in, and at least how to shut off the pumps if a hose leaks or something.

One time I came home to find she'd put the food into a hole on my custom made sea shell aquarium hood, which was not the feeding hole. You had to pick up a shell and drop the food in.

She picked up an illuminated shell, and dumped food into the lamp every day, and we came home to the smell of roasting fishmeal, and some very hungry Rio Tetras.
You are a planner. I think it's your construction background.

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I wish I'd planned a bigger tank for those SDs. They were over 10 yo in that pic, & I killed them trying to upgrade their tank too late in life.

I built two of those lamps. This is the one that was over the RIOs.
DSCF7307.JPG

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store