Leo the fst

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, so I’m not just going crazy then from looking at too many pictures. Lol

I won’t send my guy back, I love this little turt<3
But..... This is the exact reason I don’t trust buying animals online. And now that I’m looking the store up I’m seeing more and more upset customer reviews.
At this point I’m just happy I received A turtle, that he is alive, and seemingly healthy from my untrained eye.
Just a bit upset, I feel lied to. I’d like to chalk it up to a mistake, but reading reviews makes me think otherwise.

Personally I like the way Leo looks. I would keep him also.:)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It took a few days but Leo has finally felt safe enough to start basking. Before he would only hide under an algae blanket with his little head sticking out.
Now I can walk very slowly up to his tank and he stays put.
CE4ED64C-D562-44ED-9CC3-AD532F9021AE.jpeg

I also caught him under the sand in the bottom of the tank for the first time.
FACF053D-0EEB-4DF7-889C-292979C2FEFE.jpeg

He is still shy, but getting more comfortable everyday.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Regardless, I think he is great looking, great pick up!

Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Well, I feel kinda dumb.
I’ve been doing so much reading, looking at tons of pictures, not to mention crazy busy..... so I’ll let all that be my excuse.

I think I was sent the wrong turtle.
Can anyone give me their opinion?
View attachment 1346649

My guy is top left(Leo) top right is a Florida spinny hybrid.
Bottom left is a Florida softshell. Bottom right is a spinny softshell.

I feel like he looks like a hybrid. Thoughts?
I'm leaning towards hybrid, some of the turtle farmers keep floridas and spineys in the same ponds (along with other turtle species).

As far as softshelks go, they tend to prefer a higher protein diet than most turtles, which is probably why mine (a spiny) wasn't as fond of the pellets as other turtles were, instead he sucked (no exaggeration !) fish and shrimp in, and for some reason always spat the heads out.
They tend to be a little more shy about leaving the water than other turtles

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I'm leaning towards hybrid, some of the turtle farmers keep floridas and spineys in the same ponds (along with other turtle species).

As far as softshelks go, they tend to prefer a higher protein diet than most turtles, which is probably why mine (a spiny) wasn't as fond of the pellets as other turtles were, instead he sucked (no exaggeration !) fish and shrimp in, and for some reason always spat the heads out.
They tend to be a little more shy about leaving the water than other turtles
Yes I’m pretty convinced he’s a hybrid.
He is definitely shy about being caught out of the water, but will swim up to the glass to bag for food now:)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ok, so I know I should downsize my running tanks if I can. I’m sell all the stock in my 65g. I just had the thought to put Leo in it. Of course that will mean making a basking area up top and that’s not an issue, but.... is a 65g too tall for a baby turtle? I’d want the whole tank filled so his basking spot will be out of the tank. Not inside like it currently is in the 20g L.

Right now his tank only has 6-7” of water. I don’t want him to drowned.

Thoughts?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
New idea....

My husband suggested moving our Helmeted turtle into the 65 instead, then Leo can go into the 40g B that he is currently in. This does make more sense now that I think about it. The helmeted turtle (Raphael) is just over 4” and more suited for a bigger tank anyway.

So now the planning begins! I need to figure out how I want to set up the dry dock/basking area. I do still have glass left over from my sump baffles.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store