Let’s Hear Those Poly Facts!

PolypterusGuy225

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2019
Michigan, USA
As an avid Polypterus keeper I love learning about these beautiful fish. Let’s drop some of our favorite tips, tricks, facts, and stories of our lunged friends!!

My personal favorite is that the lobbed fins of the polypterus have actually evolved independently than that of other lobe finned fish putting it in its own phylogenetic group!

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1207609/pdf/ge14431165.pdf

(a great article detailing the genetic analysis of the mitochondrial DNA of a P. ornatipinnis)

PolypterusGuy225

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2019
Michigan, USA
Bichirs have an extremely developed swim bladder in which they use as make shift lungs to get oxygen from the air when theres not much in the water
I’ve always heard it as Polypterus have a set of true lungs? I was curious and did a moment of searching. The article below states that the lungs of the polypterus are true lungs and have a common ancestor whom they evolved from who had the primitive swim bladder lung as you described. On page 8 of the 11 page report they have a figure depicting this branch of evolution with Bichirs having distinct lungs! How cool!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Evolution at it's best I believe amphibians evolved from fish like the Polypterus and the Lungfish.

PolypterusGuy225

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2019
Michigan, USA
Evolution at it's best I believe amphibians evolved from fish like the Polypterus and the Lungfish.
Agreed!! Evolution is wild and it tells the story of why every thing that makes these fish an “oddball” also made them innovators and apex predators throughout history!!!

If only we could keep Tiktaalik in an aquarium.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Their larval stage looks like tadpoles, they have external gills like young salamanders, have ganoid scales like gars, have dorsal spines but no true dorsal fin, have actual lungs, breathe through a hole in the top of their heads (usually only when comfortable, otherwise a dash and gulp is used), they can live almost indefinitely out of water (with enough humidity) and can actually drown without access to air. What's not to love :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store