Let’s Hear Those Poly Facts!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Evolution at it's best I believe amphibians evolved from fish like the Polypterus and the Lungfish.
Actually they think them closer to reptile evolution. But with the external gills and development I think that too. I need to find the paper I was reading again that stated how and why they thought that. It's on my computer if I ever get that POS working again.
Their larval stage looks like tadpoles, they have external gills like young salamanders, have ganoid scales like gars, have dorsal spines but no true dorsal fin, have actual lungs, breathe through a hole in the top of their heads (usually only when comfortable, otherwise a dash and gulp is used), they can live almost indefinitely out of water (with enough humidity) and can actually drown without access to air. What's not to love :D
Those are called spiracles. My large female del uses them alot. She is the most calm and excepting of my presence. The ropefish all are very inquisitive if I'm doing stuff and eat from my hands but I've never seen them use them if they even have them ( I'd guess they would). The rest are gulpers for sure at least when I'm watching but they are lazy about it, it's not a frantic rush to and from the surface. I've tried to get it on video but I would need a much better device then my phone.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Those are called spiracles. My large female del uses them alot. She is the most calm and excepting of my presence. The ropefish all are very inquisitive if I'm doing stuff and eat from my hands but I've never seen them use them if they even have them ( I'd guess they would). The rest are gulpers for sure at least when I'm watching but they are lazy about it, it's not a frantic rush to and from the surface. I've tried to get it on video but I would need a much better device then my phone.
Yep, and there are two if I recall correctly. It's interesting how everyone behaves differently :D

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store