Lets talk about ultima II filters and rays

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Hey all

Are the ultima II the end all cure all?

I have a 500 gal. Indoor pond. I would like to keep 3 motorro rays in it.

Will the ultima II do it? Which size? Do i need other filtration as well? Are they my best option? Pros? Cons?

Thx

Eddie

Reactions: tiburon20s

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I prefer my home-made sumps to any other form of commercially available filtration. You can build a sump custom tailored to your needs. It usually ends up costing less considering the capabilities of a well designed sump versus anything comparable you can buy. That's my opinion!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I run a 65 gallon plumbed to a 45 gallon with 3 1 1/2" bulkheads. The 65 is for fluidized media and the 45 has heaters and pump. I've also added a chamber in the 45 for additional media if needed. I use a single 7 × 16 inch 200 micron filter sock for mechanical filtration. The 45 has an overflow for the drip system. Also ensures the sump won't overflow when the pump is off. Another benefit to this is I can run my sumps full of water. Most sumps have to be 1/2 empty to make room for the extra water that back flows when the pump is off. Another benefit of designing and building your own filtration.

Reactions: eddiegunks

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I tried to put these to the test. I have four Ultimas with another larger model on the way. They are on various tanks and absolutely love them.

Most people who have negative feedback didn't bother to set it up properly and overdo flow rates. They do require a bit of research. Like K1 beds did at first for most of us. We respect flow in so many areas, yet, for some reason, think jamming 6k GPH through a filter with a max 2.5k GPH rating and expect it to function properly or at max potential will work. If one were to try that with a hammerhead and FX5 everyone would say the owners plan is the issue, not the filter performance. It's no different in this case.

it comes down to ones goals. I in no way am interested in ever washing a filter sock again. I travel often for work and need something my wife can do that is "push button" simple if she has to help. Sumps are sweet and I have those too but the idea of never cleaning a can again is sexy to me. On larger setups, Ultimas are stellar.

Pros:
-no filter socks..........
-will handle a ray bioload easily if designed properly.
-closed loop is Is a great filtration approach
-mechanical and biological in one package
-easy to swap to another tank with a cycled filter (insurance for upgrades)
-can be setup in a different location than the tank
-room under the stand for smaller tanks (QT, pups etc)
-backwashing with a switch is so much nicer than cleaning canisters or washing filters socks or worse, both.

Cons:
-price vs traditional or DIY approaches
-to properly do a ray tank you need two filters or one large model capable of handling targeted flow.
-large size (specifically tall) and won't fit under most stands.
-most people would not like having to refill after a backwash. Hence why I setup the automated approach on my last build.

Eddie in your case I would think you could accomplish the same either way. They are the end all IF the investment doesn't scare you off. If it's a more budget oriented project, setup a sump with filter socks and K1, kick your feet back and enjoy. If you want to maximize convenience, Ultimas are sweet. I would recommend a 4000 model for your 500 gallon with a Reeflo dart or barracuda pump. That's around $1,500 with plumbing.

My 600 has two Ultima II 2000 models and two Reeflow Dart Gold pumps. I couldn't be happier. not everyone's cup of tea but is for me. I'm not knocking sumps by any means. I still run a sump with the Ultimas so I have somewhere for heaters and probes for the Apex system.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I tried to put these to the test. I have four Ultimas with another larger model on the way. They are on various tanks and absolutely love them.

Most people who have negative feedback didn't bother to set it up properly and overdo flow rates. They do require a bit of research. Like K1 beds did at first for most of us. We respect flow in so many areas, yet, for some reason, think jamming 6k GPH through a filter with a max 2.5k GPH rating and expect it to function properly or at max potential will work. If one were to try that with a hammerhead and FX5 everyone would say the owners plan is the issue, not the filter performance. It's no different in this case.

it comes down to ones goals. I in no way am interested in ever washing a filter sock again. I travel often for work and need something my wife can do that is "push button" simple if she has to help. Sumps are sweet and I have those too but the idea of never cleaning a can again is sexy to me. On larger setups, Ultimas are stellar.

Pros:
-no filter socks..........
-will handle a ray bioload easily if designed properly.
-closed loop is Is a great filtration approach
-mechanical and biological in one package
-easy to swap to another tank with a cycled filter (insurance for upgrades)
-can be setup in a different location than the tank
-room under the stand for smaller tanks (QT, pups etc)
-backwashing with a switch is so much nicer than cleaning canisters or washing filters socks or worse, both.

Cons:
-price vs traditional or DIY approaches
-to properly do a ray tank you need two filters or one large model capable of handling targeted flow.
-large size (specifically tall) and won't fit under most stands.
-most people would not like having to refill after a backwash. Hence why I setup the automated approach on my last build.

Eddie in your case I would think you could accomplish the same either way. They are the end all IF the investment doesn't scare you off. If it's a more budget oriented project, setup a sump with filter socks and K1, kick your feet back and enjoy. If you want to maximize convenience, Ultimas are sweet. I would recommend a 4000 model for your 500 gallon with a Reeflo dart or barracuda pump. That's around $1,500 with plumbing.

My 600 has two Ultima II 2000 models and two Reeflow Dart Gold pumps. I couldn't be happier. not everyone's cup of tea but is for me. I'm not knocking sumps by any means. I still run a sump with the Ultimas so I have somewhere for heaters and probes for the Apex system.
Let me find out you own stock in ultima products! Lol
You do make a good point with the back wash. Noone likes cleaning filter socks, and I'll quit keeping fish if I ever have to crack open another canister filter!! I've personally never owned one, and I'm stuck on building my own equipment. Certainly a tempting idea when it comes to ease of maintenance.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I know Vincent uses some for extra mechanical and bio on his looped systems. They're a giant, lower maintenance canister. Not necessarily a solo performer, but a great compliment on larger systems.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
JK47 JK47 thx. So the backwash sends water down the drain? So how do you automatically refill? How much water does it backflush?

Could i add 2-3 more rays with the above mentioned size? I am just trying to get a handle on what it will hold.

Thx

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Bigfishnut Bigfishnut thx. How do you have the teo wumps plumbed together so the media does not migrate?

A question on the overflow drain and a drip. If you have an overflow for the drip system, and the power goes out, what happens when the power is on and the pumps retart? Wont the pump be out of water as it has pumped all available water back to the aquarium (becuase the additional water has run out the drain)?

Thx

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
There's always enough water left to not run the pump dry. Overflow is at the top of the tank so when the pump fires up it brings the water level down to around 1/2 till the drip can fill it back up

Reactions: eddiegunks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store