Lets talk about ultima II filters and rays

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Bigfishnut Bigfishnut thx. How do you have the teo wumps plumbed together so the media does not migrate?

A question on the overflow drain and a drip. If you have an overflow for the drip system, and the power goes out, what happens when the power is on and the pumps retart? Wont the pump be out of water as it has pumped all available water back to the aquarium (becuase the additional water has run out the drain)?

Thx
Really isn't much different from running ine sump. For the fluidized bed I use baffles with lots of holes drilled to keep the media where I want it

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
JK47 JK47 thx. So the backwash sends water down the drain? So how do you automatically refill? How much water does it backflush?

Could i add 2-3 more rays with the above mentioned size? I am just trying to get a handle on what it will hold.

Thx
yes down the drain or I can valve to my yard to water the grass. Heated drip refills in 16.6 hours or I can go the ATO route in a couple minutes. I posted a thread over in setup on it with specs and pics

Reactions: eddiegunks

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
What about the bio wave filters? How do they compare? A member here was talking about those as well?

How Many rays could the 4000 filter sustain?

I am leaving the country for 30 days in dec. And i want this to be as automated as it can be. I will have someone checking in. I will have em do small water changes but i want the filter and the drip To really do all the work.

Thx

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
The Ultima has finer media which catches more particles and doesn't require a blower. Bio Wave media is a lot larger. Traps less but has less back pressure. I personally would go with the Ultima. Keep in mind these filters were originally designed for koi ponds.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Best Set up for filtration is is a sump and Ultima!! Mechanical filtration never gets the importance reputation it should have. Remove solids... less pollution...less Beneficial Bacteria is needed.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I'm on socks and sump. When and if I sell pups first purchase will be a Ultima.

As for your question on the power outage and sump with drain, you have to have a big enough sump and also placement of your drain hole. For example when I shut of my pump my water from tank over flows out the drain in the sump and remains at that level. Turn on sump and the water level in the sump is 1/4 of the sump height. Drip then fills the remaining water to the drain level. My Dain is 3/4 up from the bottom of sump floor. I figured this out by shuting the pump off and on an marking lines on the sump before I drilled the sump drain hole.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Good questions and JK47 JK47 pretty much covered them. I would only use Ultima type pressure filter as mechanical and any bio is a bonus. I am a fan of upflow true "bead filters" with buoyant beads that filter down to a finer level, but require blower for cleaning and stronger pump. Desired particle size removal is smaller for us vs pond guys (who ultima type filters were designed for). Backwash frequency is important as the waste sits trapped in the filter breaking down until removed.

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Good questions and JK47 JK47 pretty much covered them. I would only use Ultima type pressure filter as mechanical and any bio is a bonus. I am a fan of upflow true "bead filters" with buoyant beads that filter down to a finer level, but require blower for cleaning and stronger pump. .
What bead filters do you use? If you use the pressure filters as mechanical what and how do you do your biological? Do they flow from one to another?

I am trying to "automate" as much as i can ao when i am gone for nearly a month i can breathe a bit easier.

Thx

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
With any pressure filter- you will still need to backwash weekly unless you implement some kind of electronic automatic backwash multiport valve. Best of luck.

=====

Upflow bead filter w/ buoyant media - reversed flow vs Ultima w/ sinking media
beadupflow.jpg

=====

These are similar to the type of beads I prefer. Small bits of air injected so they are buoyant. Pack together tightly to filter out finer particles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store