LG Bass...

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
Me and my family go swimming at a family friend's pond and when I got a little bored I decided to take the conoe out to look at fish (the water is soo clear). I saw a small (2 inches) largemouth bass in complete predatory mode! I saw him under song weeds perfectly still, just staring at a water bug on top of the water. Then it just swam up and ate it in a thrashing like motion. It was amazing and it totally made me want to get one and grow it out! So what size tank can I put one in for life and have it live happy?

Thanks
Mike

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
I would think atleast a 240 gallon. That gives it room to turn. They will get huge. The northern strain of LMB tend to stay smaller (from what I have heard) at around 2'.

Chad

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
try a warmouth, they could live comfortably in a 75 gal for life, I kept one several years ago and i found it similer to a lmb in its behavior, (note: I could not get either to eat floating food, they would eat feeder's and crickets, worm's though)

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Smallmouths generally stay much smaller, an 18" sm is very hard to come by. The northern strain of lm's dont get very big either, 20 inchers are rarely seen. I think a 150 for a Lm and a 125 for a Sm would be fine.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Lm and sm bass are often found in the same body of water, but usually one species will do alittle better than the other depending on the habitat.

simple man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2006
colorado
With both a Sm and Lm, you better be ready to open the check book cuz minnows aren't cheap like flakes and pellets. Ohh But it is worth watching them eat!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store