Lifting/moving a heavy tank

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Thanks for the tips. I think i'm gonna get some of my dad's friends to help me out. I haven't decided if I'm gonna get a 4x2x2 (120g) or 5x2x2(150g). The price difference is significant because the 150 needs 12mm/ 1/2" glass all around and I'm upgrading to a 6' tank in a few years anyway so I might just go with the 120 so we aren't that far apart lol.

I had quite a time lifting the 90g tank. In total, it is 150lbs. It is very thick glass. We used a furniture dolly, and my parents had to help the seller lift the tank out of the car, put it on a furniture dolly, and wheel it into the backyard. It will be very heavy. All I can wish you is good luck! And I am wondering hat the stocking will be, and why you out tanked me -_-

Last edited:
Reactions: The Masked Shadow

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Thanks for the tips. I think i'm gonna get some of my dad's friends to help me out. I haven't decided if I'm gonna get a 4x2x2 (120g) or (150g). The price difference is significant because the 150 needs 12mm/ 1/2" glass all around and I'm upgrading to a 6' tank in a few years anyway so I might just go with the 120 so we aren't that far apart lol.
Still got a 4’x2’ outline. I’m waiting for a heater accessory to come in the mail. It was supposed to come yesterday ?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
As long as you (they) move it without twisting its not that bad. Uneven twisting can cause stress cracks.
View attachment 1477438
The stress crack above happened when I moved an old used 6 ft tank in a very cold winter day
I have moved larger tank tanks myself by carefully walking them across the floor.
That crack looks like a question mark!

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!
Buy a furniture dolly for $20. Place the tank on the dolly and wheel it wherever it needs to go. Work smart not hard :)
Floor dollys from harbor freight cheap and work well. I've moved a standard 120 4×2×2×1/2" myself. Got my 180 off the truck on to dollys and up on my deck then into house myself, couldn't get it on the stand needed help for that.
Thanks,didn't think of that but isn't there a risk of the tank sliding off? I think i've got one somewhere in my garage.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Thanks,didn't think of that but isn't there a risk of the tank sliding off? I think i've got one somewhere in my garage.
I used two of the smaller ones and I was fine. I had brick pavers up to the deck in the back yard it went over that ok. I had to use a piece of plywood to get it up the three steps onto the deck. That was the 180. The 120 I just used 1 and manhandled it up the deck and onto the stand once in the house. Who knew 2' of 1/2" glass added that much weight (technically it would be 6' I guess)? Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store