Lightweight DIY Aquarium Build

Keightley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2017
So I want to build a 72" x 24" x 44" aquarium that will fit underneath the window in my living room. I was originally thinking plywood but the material is awfully heavy. I don't want to hire 10 guys to move it if I decide to live elsewhere one day. Glass and acyrlic seems to be a bit heavy as well. Is there something I could build the sides, bottom and back with that would make the tank lighter than if I used plywood, acrylic, or glass?

Keightley

Keightley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2017
I just read all about pond shield pond armor. The company states it can be used on metal. So what if I do this? Build the frame of my aquarium with wood furring and 2x4 boards and thin metal sheets? Then I can use pond shield as if I were painting a plywood aquairum.

That do you all think?

Keightley

Reactions: J. H.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Lightest material u could use is acrylic...Appropriate metal for 44" tall will surely be heavier than wood or acrylic. Pond shield or any epoxy paint will not adhere well to metal either. If the metal bows at all it will flake right off. Epoxy paints work better on plywood as they can bite into the material a bit better. Anything u build with a 44" height will end up being heavy with even just the front window itself. If the window is acrylic ud need 1"-1.5" material to support the height. Glass id imagine atleast 3/4". You really need to have a sound structure for 44" water column... no way around the end result being heavy IMO. Even in plywood/fiberglass alone ud need 2x4 or outer braces to support the walls/epoxy/resin from cracking and or a cple layers of fiberglass. Not worth the money IMO for such a small footprint. Ur looking at close to $2500+ in proper materials i.e. resin,fiberglass,window. Theres no skimping or messin around with 44" height. Build a small stand and get a standard 180-220 in acrylic for $1200 new. same footprint u propose 7'x2'. Used acrylic 180-220 can be had for $300-800 depending on quality.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
So I want to build a 72" x 24" x 44" aquarium that will fit underneath the window in my living room. I was originally thinking plywood but the material is awfully heavy. I don't want to hire 10 guys to move it if I decide to live elsewhere one day. Glass and acyrlic seems to be a bit heavy as well. Is there something I could build the sides, bottom and back with that would make the tank lighter than if I used plywood, acrylic, or glass?
A few things:

1) The tank should not be able to fit underneath your window. The greatest height by code for a window sill is typically 44", so the tank plus it's cover will exceed that even if the tank sits on the floor. You may also be violating local fire codes depending on other factors (especially if that is the only egress window in the room), since the tank would effectively block the exit. This isn't certain, but it's a consideration.

2) As Wednesday said, this tank will be heavy using any of the materials that are normally available to construct a tank. With glass, you will need 1" at least, and that in a single piece will be around 400 lbs just for the front pane. While that single piece won't require 10 people to move, it's easy to expect that the constructed tank will require a lot more than 4 people to move, once it's completed. A tank that size will weigh over 1,200 lbs if it's all glass. Imagine trying to go up a flight of stairs with just 6 people!! Needless to say, fully constructed tanks do require special handling for the safety of the people as well as the tank.

3) I won't delve much into the issue of the tank weight on the floor. This is around 3,300 lbs on a 12 foot square foot print. I'd feel comfortable if this was on a thick concrete slab, but if this is a wood floor over a basement, you may want an expert opinion before you complete this project.

None of the above says you can't do this. In the right circumstance, this could work great, but I see a couple possible issues.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Listen to DrStrangelove, but if you curve the walls of the tank, you can build them much thinner. That is why you will see hdpe 600gal tanks 1/8" thick.

Keightley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2017
The tank should not be able to fit underneath your window. The greatest height by code for a window sill is typically 44", so the tank plus it's cover will exceed that even if the tank sits on the floor. You may also be violating local fire codes depending on other factors (especially if that is the only egress window in the room), since the tank would effectively block the exit. This isn't certain, but it's a consideration.
It will not violate building codes. It will not block the window. I do not want to block the window at all. Furthermore, even if it did block this particular window there are 6 exits plus the door to my apartment.

And you are right. My window begins 44" from the floor. I want the aquarium to fit underneath this. I am not building a stand per se. I am setting it on one layer of concrete cinder blocks.

I won't delve much into the issue of the tank weight on the floor. This is around 3,300 lbs on a 12 foot square foot print. I'd feel comfortable if this was on a thick concrete slab, but if this is a wood floor over a basement, you may want an expert opinion before you complete this project.
I am IN the basement. There is nothing below me but concrete and ground. Not even a crawl space. Technically, the aquarium will be a few inches below ground if you think of it. My windows are at ground level which is 44" off my wood floor.

Keightley

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It will not violate building codes. It will not block the window. I do not want to block the window at all. Furthermore, even if it did block this particular window there are 6 exits plus the door to my apartment.
And you are right. My window begins 44" from the floor. I want the aquarium to fit underneath this. I am not building a stand per se. I am setting it on one layer of concrete cinder blocks.
In your own posts you said:

1) the tank will be 44" tall
2) the tank will be on cinder blocks (which are at least 8")
3) the bottom of the window starts at 44"
4) the tank will be underneath the window

Math says that the tank plus cinder blocks is 52". The window is 44". The tank can't be under the window because 52" > 44". Moreover, if a person can't easily get out of the window, the window is obstructed and does not count as an egress.

Since a person can't easily climb over a 6 foot wide tank that is 4.5 feet high, filled with water to get through a window that might be difficult to open and more difficult to get through, the window is obstructed. It no longer qualifies as a valid egress.

That's math.

I have no idea whether or not the other windows count for egress. Many windows do not count as egress for many reasons. My post was meant to help, but it sounds like you don't need it, so well wishes on your project.

Keightley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2017
44" will be the approximate height of the entire aquarium build which included the stand and a planter box that will be my nitrate filter. The aquarium itself is 30". The whole set up will be as modular as I can make it so it will be easier to move. I was wondering how to make the aquarium itself lighter by using some out-of-the-box material. I am just one small woman who has no friends or family who will be there to help if I have to move. I will have to hire movers but I am not going to hire 10. Thus why I asked the question. And I got my answer. The only viable materials to make an aquarium is plywood, glass, or acrylic. I did not ask about building codes and egresses. And yes, I do need the help and advice. But I learned a very important lesson from this post. It seem like when people answer my questions they assume I am coming from a very dumb place. I am not an idiot. Thank you for assuming so. This really made my day.

In your defense, drstrangelove, I did not give you all the detailed information. For that I apologize. That said, why can't we start from a place of "how can we help/advise this person accomplish her goal" instead of "it cannot be done"? Wednesday13 did it. Why can't the rest of you do so?

Keightley

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I just found out about a new material - fiberglass! You can wrap a foam or cardboard core with it to build a big tank. In other words, you build a big cardboard/foam box, and then cover it completely with fiberglass. Fiberglass is strong and light, and you could build the tank in pieces, and seal them together after you put them on the stand. When you want to move, all you would have to do is hack away the sealant and repeat the process. The only drawback is how nasty a material to work with fiberglass is.

Keightley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2017
Well that is an interesting suggestion. What does everyone else think? Can I use styrofoam and fiberglass it to make my light weight aquarium when dry? I am seeing videos on people using styrofoam coolers for small outside fish aquarium/ponds. So by deduction one can say fibroglassing waterproof syrofoam would work, right? Would I build the tank first with syrofoam and then fibroglass it? Or would I fibroglass the sides, bottom, and back panels then put it together? Maybe I could build a wood frame and then make the wrap out of syrofoam which is then fibroglassed? Does anyone know an expert in fibroglassing that I can call or email for advice?

Cheers,
Keightley

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store